What is this called?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dagmar88

Reaction score
60237_1.jpg

I can remember my mother using one of those with Sunlight Soap in it for washing up dishes. As the sink is filling you use it to shake the soap around in the hot water and it lathers the water up. I'm not sure if Sunlight Soap is just a NZ name or not but it was a laundry soap here, yellow in colour.

busybee said:
I can remember my mother using one of those with Sunlight Soap in it for washing up dishes. As the sink is filling you use it to shake the soap around in the hot water and it lathers the water up. I'm not sure if Sunlight Soap is just a NZ name or not but it was a laundry soap here, yellow in colour.

Must be worldwide. I know sunlight was used a lot, especially pre ww2 in Germany, France and the Netherlands.
Making your own was already out of fashion by that time :p
Loads of people stocked up on it back then, and even now stacks of sunlight pop up from under beds when the elderly pass away.

sunlightzeepvlaardingen.jpg

I'd love to start selling them, but can't seem to find a wholesale seller/producer :(

8) My great grandmother's mother was dressed like that.

It is still sold over here, I clean just about everything with that stuff, green soap or soda :lol:

busybee said:
Me too

We lived and worked in the Fiji Island from 2000-2003 and once a month our staff got a long bar of soap with their pay. It was an incentive to keep their uniforms nice and clean. The bar was like the old long sunlight ones and our staff would cut them into four or more good sized bars and use them when washing cloths, dishes, bodies etc.

Soap savers / shakers

Hi all we manufacture new soap shakers on a small scale as no one else seemed to be doing it and they are such a great idea. Have a look at www.selfsufficiencystore.com and there is a you tube clip on how they are used. Cheers
Carolann

Latest posts

Back