What is quality for good lip balm?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbiz

Reaction score
I tried some popular lip balm and mine also. Carmex is very sticky and gummy, it also has funny smell too. Whereas Burtbees lip balm is quite hard and gummy at all but stay sticky a little on my lips.
My lip balm is a little less harder than BB, but have very nice glide and almost no sticky on lips. I really have no idea how to compare btw these lip balms. Can someone help me or give me a tips?
By the way, my recipe:
20% BW
20% Undeodorized cocoa butter
30% Grapeseed oil
20% 76 Coconut oil
5% Castor Oil
5% Olive oil

I tried alot of different lip balm recipes. One of the best was my sisters hemp seed one, but it did eventually go rancid. :( so I started making my own. Most of the recipes I found online were too hard and dried up within weeks. Everyone likes something different in their balms. I like one that has a nice slip, but is not too glidy, and that lasts. I started adding mango butter, instead of shea and haven't had a problem with graininess.

it's odd that they dried up. no water to evaporate. so not sure what happened there.

but anyway, what qualities you look for in a lip balm are just that - what YOU look for - either based on your own preferences or those of your customer base. there is a wide range or types - soft ones in pots, harder ones in tubes, glossy ones, matte ones, slick ones that glide, waxy ones that have some drag, more staying power, colored, scented, flavored, sweetened, liquid, solid...

So how to make it sticky and gummy like Carmex? Is it because of Lanolin or Salicylic Acid?

lanolin is sticky.
salicylic acid is a crystalline powder, tho what it does to oils I haven't the foggiest.

don't feel bad. it also means body wash and butt wipe. context is everything ;)

carebear said:
don't feel bad. it also means body wash and butt wipe. context is everything ;)

:lol: Okay, I feel better.

I should have been able to look at the recipe and been able to figure it out. :roll: It's Monday...yeah...it's Monday and that's my excuse. :wink:

I really don't feel too bad about not knowing. What's really bad is sometimes I get an idea for trying something different. I'll jot myself a note and use abbreviations for some of the ingredients. When I look at it later, I think "what the heck is swog or lst?" :lol:

I finally remembered "swog" is sweet orange and ginger but I still don't remember what I was thinking when I wrote "lst".

Oh, wait, it just hit me! It stands for lemongrass, spearmint and thyme. I was wondering if these three oils would blend well together and I jotted it down to try them. :D I'm sooo glad I remembered because it was really bothering me.

Thanks everyone. I may never have remembered if I hadn't been writing this post.

Latest posts

Back