What Herbs to Plant in the Garden for Soap Making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemmey

Reaction score
As the spring is getting nearer (I am really hoping here), and I am starting to plan my garden out, what herbs/plants do you recommend to grow for soap making?

I have read that Rosemary is good, and I was thinking about a lavender plant...

Do you have any favorites that are nice when added to soaps?

Thank you!

rosemary, lavender, sage, thyme, chamomile, calendula, cornflowers, lemon verbena are my staples. i love infused oils, and calendula petals are so pretty and keep their color in soap. going to grow loofah this year too just for fun :)

one can grow loofah? I thought this was a sea sponge or something. What kind of plant is a loofah? I did some infusion in a crock pot last night and yesterday. Calendula and lavendar in RBO. I am mashing the flowers with a potatoe masher to get the max out of them. I will strain it in a few and start making some batches today.

yes you can grow loofah, i was surprised too! it's actually a gourd and apparently a vigorous grower. i ordered seeds online, can't remember from where, but they're easy to google. fun, huh? can't wait for spring planting! :)

oh, and i'm infusing herbs in small muslin or organza bags to avoid the mess of straining. ordered in bulk they're really cheap, and work really well :)

Be careful not to put loofah near zucchini or squash, as it will turn them loofah-ish! That goes for the whole gourd family, as well.

I am so excited to try Loofah, it sounds like I need to plant it in June here in the PNW.

After the herbs and flowers grow, do you dry them? use them strait off the bush? Infuse the oils to make the soaps with? (can you tell I am total noob?)

Thank you all!

Yes, plant material should be completely dried (dehydrated) before infusing in the oil, to prevent oil spoilage.

I have used my calendula flowers (a lot), rosemary (a lot too), marjoram, spearmint, rose hips, rose petals, bay leaves. I have lavender, but not enough to use for soap.

I am thinking about ordering seed for madder and alkanet, and growing them.

I am getting a lot of sage, so I could try a sage infusion. How does that work out? do you get color? scent? both? what scents or EOs do you blend with it?

We have lots of citrus trees so I also use citrus from my garden in soap. I infuse the dried zest (1/2 cup per quart) of both lemons and limes and also use the leaves in a tea. After i cool that tea, I use it instead of water to dissolve the lye. When I add the lye to the cooled tea it turns a weird neon shade of yellow. This later fades. Just giving you a heads up in case you try it.

I will soon be infusing minneola orange zest in oil to use in soap. I wonder if I will get an orange color from it too, just like the essential oil.

I read a few years ago that you can grow the loofah in a cylinder to keep the shape long and thin.

I didn't know to keep it away from the zucchini or summer squash.. Will definitely to that..

Another vote for roses (for the hips esp) and calendulas. I'd love to try growing loofha gourds, but we have major squash bug issues here.

Lavender for the buds sounds good too. Don't forget about growing your own cucumbers and carrots and pumpkins to puree and/or juice for soap too!

skyfarms said:
Another vote for roses (for the hips esp) and calendulas. I'd love to try growing loofha gourds, but we have major squash bug issues here.

Lavender for the buds sounds good too. Don't forget about growing your own cucumbers and carrots and pumpkins to puree and/or juice for soap too!

and tomatoes! i adore fresh tomato and basil soap -- infused basil oil and fresh tomato puree.

paillo said:
skyfarms said:

and tomatoes! i adore fresh tomato and basil soap -- infused basil oil and fresh tomato puree.

Right on! I know they're not herbs, but garden veggies and fruits can be used too.

dcornett said:
:) You've got me in the mood for gardening now... :)

I know, I can't wait til I can get my hands in the soil! I've been starting lots of plants in the greenhouse already, but it isn't quite the same.

Thought of another herb to grow for soaping, one I really want to try - comfrey. It seems a lot of people have had good success infusing the leaves in oil to achieve lovely shades of green.

i am going to try to do the soda bottle herb garden thing and i have my basic idea i want to grow. do you buy seeds or plants to grow these things?

lavender
comfrey
basil
lemon thyme
calendula
chamomile
pineapple thyme
cilantro

this will be my first time ever trying to plant/grow anything since i murdered all my plants in highschool :( i just have black thumbs... or at least i used to. i am hoping i have green now.

krissy said:
i am going to try to do the soda bottle herb garden thing and i have my basic idea i want to grow. do you buy seeds or plants to grow these things?

lavender
comfrey
basil
lemon thyme
calendula
chamomile
pineapple thyme
cilantro

this will be my first time ever trying to plant/grow anything since i murdered all my plants in highschool :( i just have black thumbs... or at least i used to. i am hoping i have green now.

I'd buy plants of the thymes and lavender, maybe the chamomile too depending on which variety you're wanting to grow. The others are a cinch to start from seed. That's just me though:)

skyfarms said:
krissy said:

lavender
comfrey
basil
lemon thyme
calendula
chamomile
pineapple thyme
cilantro

I'd buy plants of the thymes and lavender, maybe the chamomile too depending on which variety you're wanting to grow. The others are a cinch to start from seed. That's just me though:)

thanks!

have you had your baby yet?

krissy said:

lavender
comfrey
basil
lemon thyme
calendula
chamomile
pineapple thyme
cilantro

Basil, calendula and cilantro are easy to start from seed. Cilantro is cool weather, basil hot weather, calendula intermediate and warm. I have started chamomile from seed, no experience with comfrey (I want some seed). The others are easier started with cuttings.

Baby will be here this Thursday!

And I agree with what greensoap said too. I usually make my own plant starts from cuttings (from my own plants or other peoples').

Comfrey seed is not often readily available, but there are suppliers out there.

Good luck and happy gardening and soaping!

After reading all of this, I'm ready for Spring!
Krissy, I live a little north of you in the Ellijay/Blue Ridge area and have
grown everything on your list. However, I can never get cilantro to make it
through the summer. If you have success, please share your secret!
Loofahs are so much fun. I plant mine next to a fence and the gourds hang down and are (for the most part) straight.
When they dry (on the vine) and look "prunish", I seed them by cutting the end and whacking them over and over (grand kids love to do this). Then I soak them in a little clorox and water. The skin peels right off and they are a beautiful cream color.
Perhaps I'm the last to know this little fact, but they can be thrown in the washer and come out clean and perfectly fine.
I've not tried to embed them in soap, but it looks like something that might be fun!
BRING ON SPRING!!!

Lavender is supposed to grow like a weed! There are two main varieties so you want to research them a little to find out what grows in your area. When I found you could grow loofah I was surprised! But it crossbreeds and that is why you need to grow it by itself. I am xero-scaped, so no gardening for me. This year I am making my friend grow lavender for my soap!

Latest posts

Back