What happened?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
I made a recipe that I've made several times before wiyh no problems so this has me scratching my head.

2lb batch SF 5%

Sweet Almond Oil 8%
Castor Oil 5%
Coconut Oil 20%
Crisco, new 17%
Olive Oil, pomace 50%

At trace I added in 1T honey, 2T Buttermilk powder, and 3-4T ground oatmeal. I used the OMH FO from NG

I only added the buttermilk powder at trace because I didn't have enough time to reconstitute it and freeze it. I figured that 2T was a good amount even though to reconstitute the buttermilk with the amount of water I had would have called for 4T.

I expected it to overheat so I refrigerated it after pouring.

The liquid isn't zappy. Why did this happen and how can I keep it from happening next time?

20140320_162210.jpg

Last edited:
I use powdered goats milk all the time. Before I add the lye to the water, I use a bit of it to reconstitute the milk.

Then I make the soap as usual added the super thick milk solution after emulsion, but before coloring it.

Im sorry, Im no use and have no idea what happened (other than maybe overheating?)

BUT IT LOOKS LIKE ITS BARFING!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA falls of the chair laughing

Sorry! Sorry!! It would be great for Halloween!!

Im sorry, Im no use and have no idea what happened (other than maybe overheating?)

BUT IT LOOKS LIKE ITS BARFING!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA falls of the chair laughing

Sorry! Sorry!! It would be great for Halloween!!

Bwahaha! It kind of does!! It really looked like it was barfing when it was gushing fluid lol

I would guess it either over heater or it was still going through gel and you cut too soon. Was the liquid thin or thick? You can chop it up and toss it and all the liquid into a crock pot for rebatch.

It was a very thin fluid almost like water. I don't think it was still gelling but I am still pretty new at this.

I made it yesterday afternoon and put it in the fridge. I unfolded it last night because it was hard in the places I mashed. When I got it out of the mold I noticed a soft spot towards the top. I figured maybe it just hadn't hardened fully there yet and went to bed. This morning I checked it and thought it was odd that there was still a mushy spot that hadn't firmed up any but I let it be. This afternoon I decided to cut it just to see why it was still mushy and this is what I discovered.

The only thing I could figure was over heating but I wasn't sure since I left the mold uncovered and it was refrigerated.

Unfortunately the cardboard box soaked up most of the fluid within the first few minutes so just went ahead and cleaned up the rest.

Last edited:
The liquid may be not be zappy, but I suspect the soap might be if all that oil seeped out.

What can I say - sometimes soap will overheat, even in the frig.

Yep. Definite zap to the soap. How should I go about rebatching it since I don't know how much oil left?

Back