What happened to my batch? Oil all around!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlktrkdrvr

Reaction score
I made a batch of soap yesterday using this recipe

Water 1.140 18.240 517.095
Lye - NaOH 0.427 6.831 193.642
Oils 3.000 48.000 1360.776
Fragrance 0.094 1.500 42.525
Soap weight before CP cure or HP cookMore info 4.661 74.571 2114.038
# √ Oil/Fat % Pounds Ounces Grams
1 Coconut Oil, 76 deg 25.000 0.750 12.000 340.194
2 Sunflower Oil 33.333 1.000 16.000 453.592
3 Palm Oil 33.333 1.000 16.000 453.592
4 Lard, Pig Tallow Manteca 8.333 0.250 4.000 113.398
Totals 100 3.000 48.000 1360.776
Soap Bar Quality Range Your Recipe
Hardness 29 - 54 44
Cleansing 12 - 22 17
Conditioning 44 - 69 52
Bubbly 14 - 46 17
Creamy 16 - 48 26
Iodine 41 - 70 69
INS 136 - 165 145
Lauric 12
Myristic 5
Palmitic 22
Stearic 5
Ricinoleic 0
Oleic 24
Linoleic 28
Linolenic 0
Additives Notes

Which I ran through soapcalc and the numbers came up just fine. It is NOT the first time I have used this recipe. I subbed the water for goat milk which I do every time. This time some of the oil separated out. There is oil on the table and the mold. also on the top of the soap and I have not cut it yet but imagine that it will have pockets of oil also. I soaped at 120 degrees and mixed with a paint stirrer on the drill like I do every batch. I added 2 ounces of fragrence oil at a heavy trace and I spooned into the mold at a very thick trace- would not pour after adding the FO. The soap looks grainy and the oil that is everywhere is NOT the FO. Does not really have much smell. Can I rebatch? What went wrong? :(

I am quite sure that everything was measured properly. I have a digital scale that goes to .001 of a pound. Even though the numbers came out good I am wondering if the sunflower oil is causing the problem. The use the SF oil at my husband's work and he can get what they can not suck up out of the 250 gallon tubs. It is food grade sunflower oil.

Yes, you can rebatch. Have you used that FO before? Was it from a soaping supplier? Almost sounds like it started to rice then separated as it sat in the mold.

The FO is from Bulk Apothecary. This was the first time I have used this particular scent but I have used their FO for 3 years. It is in the crock right now starting the rebatch.

Were the oils pretty warm or fairly cool? There are enough hard oils in there for false trace.

Some scents just rice, not much you can do besides beat it into submission or rebatch. Some people have decent results from adding the FO into the oils before the lye, that way the FO is diluted and might not react as bad.

Were the oils pretty warm or fairly cool? There are enough hard oils in there for false trace.

I soaped at 120 and it seemed to heat up while I was beating it- although I did not temp it after combining the lye/milk and oils. I guess I was under the impression that you had to add your FO last and after trace or it would get saponified and not smell. Am I incorrect?

Some people have decent results from adding the FO into the oils before the lye, that way the FO is diluted and might not react as bad.

This is what I do..I also add a bit of kaolin clay and that helps to anchor the scent better..it does for me anyway.

Did you gel this soap?

I guess I was under the impression that you had to add your FO last and after trace or it would get saponified and not smell. Am I incorrect?

Yeah, you got misinformed on that. Soap at trace hasn't saponified yet so it really doesn't matter when you add scent. I usually add mine right after I mix in the lye but before I hit trace.

thank you for setting me straight on that. Will I need to add more FO after I rebatch? or should it be good still, or will I just have to wait and see?

I'm not any help but I had the exact same mess you did. Is all I can figure out was the FO I used, it sat around for maybe eight years after I'd opened it the first time. Decided I didn't need the scent after all.:)

It is usually an overheating and/or fragrance that causes such issues. Another can be the batter not being truely emulisified before pouring. I have yet to figure out what people consider a false trace. I tend to only sb long enough to just reach emulisification before pouring off for my colors. I have seen many a seizure seperate out after it has started to gel. When I get a siezure I let it sit in the bucket until it starts to gel and liquify. Have seen ricing and seperating happen at that point

Back