What got you into soap making?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pregnant looking for something to soothe my dry skin. Tried hand made soap and have never gone back :) Got me into aromatherapy also. That was 17 years ago.

I'm an aromatherapist and during one of my courses we had an assignment to make and use a blend of oils in something other than a massage oil. I looked on line and it seemed most people selling essential oils were also selling soap. I found a recipe and made soap.

Next semester we had the challenge again. I made bath bombs.

The instructor called me aside and said that she supplied a chain of spas with a goatsmilk soap and her supplier had let her down, did she think I could make goatsmilk soap for her. I sure did !

I put my tools away 4 years ago when I became seriously ill and had to have surgery. I was unemployed for a while due to the illness/recovery and didn't have the funds to start soaping again. I just moved and I kept saying, "After I move I'm going to start soaping." Well, an opportunity presented itself a couple of months ago ... an organic farmers' market was opening in the town I've moved to and they were looking for artisan crafters.

I am now soaping Organic soaps and I now have a SOAP ROOM !!!! in my new home. So that's how I got back into soaping.

I was searching ebay one day and found a women who made her own soaps, I purchased one, and she also sent me one free of charge. I loved them.. That was 5 years ago or so.

About 17 years ago I was given a book by mother that had handmade body product recipes inside. I was shocked that people could actually make their own products. I started playing around with them and really fell in love with the whole process. A couple years later I got involved with a group of animal rights activists and that is when I heard about handmade soap (the whole no animal testing topic brought it out). I didn't think twice about the soap until about 6-7 years ago. Then along the line I decided to give in and I purchased a soapmaking kit from Sandy Maine, it sat on the shelf a year (don't tell her that). LOL I was so scared to work with it because of all the warnings on the lye package. But... even though it sat, I eventually made it, it worked out great, everyone loved it and I haven't stopped since.

Even though it worked out great, I wouldn't advise people let their first soapmaking kits sit a year :wink:

My husband told me I spent too much money at Bath and Body Works and thought it would save money if I made my own. Now he wishes I would go back to BBW.

My 1st year married, my husband & I wanted to give our large extended family each a gift for the holidays. So, we purchased a stack of very inexpensive soap bars, cut up old wrapping paper~ placed pieces on top of the soap & dipped the top of the soap in wax. That was 30 years ago, & today I still am giving handmade soap as gifts, but all the soaps are handmade.

moca said:
My husband told me I spent too much money at Bath and Body Works and thought it would save money if I made my own. Now he wishes I would go back to BBW.

Now that's funny! :lol:

I had always liked making things myself (trying to be frugal) , especially cosmetics. I even tried to make lotions and lip balms as a child. One day I came across a book in the library that had a recipe for soap. I tried it and the rest is history. I love doing it! :D

My story is similar to Irena's. I helped my grandmother when I was a kid cut her lard lye soap. I thought it was fascinating watching how those fats and lye combined to make soap. As the years went along using her soap to wash with while visiting her and her washing my clothes with the same soap, I was convinced that someday I would do this! Well, 39 years later, or 2 years ago, I had the time to dedicate to learning the art of milk CP soapmaking. After reading, researching, more reading and researching, testing, testing, retesting, tweaking and failing many times, I got it right. It took the right recipe, after over 30, and the right methods and procedures, to get to where I am today. My grandmother had the chance to try my soaps compared to hers (night and day difference) before she was too sick to shower and before she passed. She was amazed how we can produce such a mild soap today. I love creating something by my hands that is better for us than something some huge multi-billion dollar company produces. It is so therapeutic for me to soap and imagine what new tool I can create to help make a better looking bar of soap. So my soaping is multifaceted; making goat milk based soaps and making my TOG Soapmaking Tools! I love what I do.

Paul.... :wink:

I think my response is very different.

I got into soap making because of my dog (well now dogs). After the huge march dog food recall, I have been looking into getting rid of processed junk and chemicals for my dog. I changed her diet and changed the chemicals I put on her for grooming needs. I bought a shampoo that seemed more natural, no longer used scented spritz, no more flea chemicals, etc. I thought if I could make soap for her, I could control the ingredients, thus know what is being used on her. After learning the soap making process, I am now skeptical to how good the natural shampoo I bought her is because I think the ingredient list is incomplete not listing everything that was put into it. That fueled my efforts more to make her soap. Now I am hooked. I also want to make soaps for myself, but my dog's health was the inspiration.

2 years ago I fell head over heels for Lush. Especially their Honey I Washed The Kids soap. y-u-m-m-y. However, it's expensive. And I have to go to Chicago to get it, or order it online. I ventured into the candle world (being a die-hard Yank@@ Candle fan), found a forum that talked about bath/body/soaps, and here I am, venturing into M&P.

I have no real desire to do CP at this time. I want to perfect M&P and do everything I can with it!

I ahve been interested in natural stuff since I was in highschool, but when I was 20, I took an "Herbal Crafts for Spring" weekend class at the community college and that led into everything :) 2 years later I took her "Herbal Christmas Crafts" class just to show her everything I had learned and how I applied it :) I have now been making soaps and salves and aromatherapy blends for 12 years and LOVE IT :D

What got you into soap making

Well, two different paths led to this one..soapmaking. I have always loved beautiful, mild, sweet smelling soaps. In fact, I have a little collection of them. MyDH has such very sensitive skin that I am constantly looking for a soap that will not cause him discomfort. I have found a few but it is always a problem to reorder and be sure not to run out. One is from Japan. So, I decided to look into making him some. I started with M and P and have made him the goat milk ones. They do the trick and he loves them...trouble is...I am ready to try CP now....and I am gearing up to the GM soap. Sounds tricky but I am willing to try and see what comes. I figure it will take several (at least) failed batches before I get it right. This forum has been my education. Thank you one and all!!
Patricia

Patricia, just jump on into CP soapmaking. I started out with goat milk CP soap, from day one. I did make a lot of orangish-brown batches from burning the sugars in the milk, and 30 recipes to get the one I'm loving today, but practice, safety, reading, researching, and asking ones who has the experience to help, is how you grow into our obsession. I've been a goat milk CP soapier for 2 years now, learning every time I make a batch, but finally turn out a consistent quality batch of soap. Let me know if you need any help, and I'll be glad to help as much as I can. I do what I call "Paul's GM RTCP Soap Process." I can get a slightly off white bar using farm fresh goat milk now. GM, along with aloe vera juice and a touch of silk makes a great, creamy gentile bar of soap!

Paul.... :wink:
A GM Soapier
TOG Soapmaking Tools!

Patricia,

I agree with Paul. Just go for it.

I made my first soap 2 weeks ago. It was CP GM. I made 3 batches over 3 days and they all came out fine, using my own recipe I checked over and over again using the calculator. Do a search and read some of Paul's past posts on making GM soaps. Honestly, I think those are what helped me the most about making them vs any other website. :)

What got you into soapmaking

Mothi and Paul! thank you so much for your encouragment. I have read all the posts on GM and have bookmarked yours, Paul! I think I have "made" goat's milk soap a hundred times over already in my head!! I have a trip coming up here in two days (waaa...away from soapmaking for a bit...) and as soon as I get back I will take the GM plunge!!
Patricia

Latest posts

Back