What does new soap NOT stick to?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd_in_Minnesota

Reaction score
So, after pouring new soap into a mold, sometimes I like to be able to make the top of the loaf perfectly smooth.

What do you use to 'slick down' the top of new soap, that doesn't leave working marks?

I've had no luck so far.

Thanks all!
Todd

Pour it at a thinner trace and bump it(gently bounce it) on the counter a few times. That smoothes mine right out. Then I place a piece of cardboard or some such over the top to keep the blanket or beach towel from touching the soap.

^^^
what Susie said is what I usually do. the key to me is thinner trace..

I do pretty much the same, except that I put a piece of freezer paper (like I lined the mold with) over it.

I use a frosting smoother. It's just a long stainless piece of metal that looks like a large Popsicle stick attached to a handle.

Thanks!

Thanks all, for the ideas...
When I pour late in trace, it sounds like freezer paper is the solution.

Dorymae, I've tried smoothing with a spatula like you say, but it always ends up just leaving marks. Do you use some sort of release agent, or lubricant?

Thanks again
Todd

Not just a spatula, one specifically made for frosting, the one I use is at least twice as long as the width of my soap. You use it at a very slight (10 degree) angle and bring it straight across in one swoop. If you stop or even pause anywhere along the way you will have a line at that point.

Ah wait I think I know the problem. When I do this my soap is to the top of my mold. Are you trying to smooth a top that is lower than the top of the mold?

In that case I don't know. Freezer paper gives me "eh" results. Its okay but never perfectly smooth. You may have to use a planer the soap has set up and removed.

Yuppers,
I'm imagining my soap-surface below the top edge of the mold... but i can see that a frosting tool would be perfect if the mold was full!
Thanks for the idea.
T
Not just a spatula, one specifically made for frosting, the one I use is at least twice as long as the width of my soap. You use it at a very slight (10 degree) angle and bring it straight across in one swoop. If you stop or even pause anywhere along the way you will have a line at that point.

Ah wait I think I know the problem. When I do this my soap is to the top of my mold. Are you trying to smooth a top that is lower than the top of the mold?

In that case I don't know. Freezer paper gives me "eh" results. Its okay but never perfectly smooth. You may have to use a planer the soap has set up and removed.

Apart from pouring at a thinner trace, filling the mould to the very top an smoothing it out with a (wet) frosting smoother and spraying with alcohol, there is always an option to dust the soap with a bit of mica or glitters, which hides possible marks. :D

Latest posts

Back