What did I do wrong?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMGTFY

Reaction score
Dear soapers,

I'm still new to this hobby, I made around 20 batches and read this forum and other sources a lot.

I wanted to make a colour gradient bar, so it was fairly traced, I soaped around 32° C. After unmoulding, the bar had a pocket on its side full of transparent liquid. It feels a little oily. The PH of it was 7. The rest of soap seems to be caustic, but the bar is only around 20 hours old.

You can see the liquid pocket on the picture. There is also some weird white stuff on the edges - these were also a little wet and caustic. They were the bottom edges and I took the picture after unmouldnig, so it can't be ash. Maybe lye?

The black is just activated charcoal line that made the bar messy when unmoulding.

The recipe was 7% cocoa b., 14% co, 5% castor, 44% oop, 20% sunflower, 10% palm kernel. 38% water and 6% SF.

The colourant was electric blue mica and 18g of Sunbeam FO (per 500 g oils) by Gracefruit.

What do you think this could be and why did it happen? What could I do wrong?

Thank you and happy soaping!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Soap Making mobile app

Last edited:
I didn't mamange to attach a picture from the app, here it is:

IMG_20131012_224422.jpg

That looks like overheating which caused the FO to separate. I always rebatch if my sopas do this.

Obsidian, thanks so much, did I mention the liquid is quite fragrant? That explains it. I will cut off the sides and see if it works, since this time I was more concerned about the looks. I will post a picture when it is hard enough to cut.

Too bad! The soap looks pretty. However, If I get oozy pockets, I always rebatch. Often the liquid is not just FO separating but is highly caustic as well.

Thanks again for the advice! I had to cut off the sides and after cutting the bar there were no pockets and the PH is 8 all over the bars, no zapping. Next time I will be more careful about the tempretare.
IMG_20131013_105546.jpg

Just to keep things clear, soap can not have a ph of 7, it won't be soap if it does. It will just be a bunch of oils. Soap is a high ph product. Ph strips don't work correctly on soap. All you need to do is make sure you have no unreacted lye and that can be checked by doing a zap test with your tongue. For more information do a search on past posts, there are some good post on this not that far back. Congrats on your ombré soap, it look nice.

Sistrum, maybe I didn't express myself correctly, the PH of the liquid oozing from the bar was 7, not the soap itself. It was most likely just the FO.

Latest posts

Back