What can I make with these ingredients?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooke789

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a newbie here! Just signed up after doing some cleaning at home and finding some old soap/lotion/hair product making supplies. I'm wanting to use up things I have on hand and hoping to make some liquid handsoap. Can you point me in the direction of recipes for making handsoap and using up these products?

Stearic Acid (3lbs!!)
Glycerin
Beewax (I'd probably prefer not to use this b/c I remember it being very time consuming when we did it before)

Oils I have:
Sweet almond oil (8lb jug!)
Jojoba oil

Other things I have which may be useful:
coconut oil
castile soap

Hi!

Welcome to the forums. Although I am not any kind of expert, I do have a couple of questions that can help the real experts help you.

1. Have you smelled the oils for rancidity? You did not say how long you have had them.

2. Do you have either NaOH(sodium hydroxide/lye) or KOH(potassium hydroxide/caustic potash)? You will need the former for bar soap, and the latter for liquid soap.

You can make lotion bars using some ingredients out of the first two lists. Using an oil and Castile soap along with some fragrance and Epsom salts, you can make foaming bath salts. Google "lotion bar recipes."

Thanks for your replies!

The items were purchased 4 years ago and most were for the purpose of making lotion bars. We made them once and haven't done it again. I also made hair products with some of the oils. The sweet almond oil does smell like stale crackers, but I am currently 38 weeks pregnant and have started using it on my belly and the smell is not there anymore. So, I'm not sure if there is a reason not to use it in bath/body products. If I don't have a use for it once I don't need it for that purpose anymore I'll just toss the rest of the jug.

The jojoba smells fine and is great for my hair, so I may just keep using it for that.

I was hoping to make hand soap with the stearic acid as I found mentioned on a google search but no specfic way to do it. I just wanted to use it up and not waste it, but the receipt for all of these products was in the box and we paid less than $10 for all of that stearic acid so just decided to toss it.

So, the only thing I need a use for is the glycerin or I can just toss that too. Not sure if it goes bad. Maybe I can find a fun kids project to use it up.

Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back