Weird shampoo results , is it separating?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpro

Reaction score
Okay so I’ve been struggling with this formula for over a month for this shampoo. After I make it everything seems fine but after a few days the shampoo starts making white dots all inside the bottle and looks like it’s gone bad. I don’t know what’s cause it or if it’s from the Shea butter separating , Here are the ingredients I’ve tried :

1. water (aqua), decyl glucoside, lauryl betaine, glycerin, butyrospernum parkii (shea butter), raw honey, sodium chloride, xanthan gum, phenoxyethanol, aloe vera juice, citric acid, benzoic, acid, dehydroacetic acid

ending results with white dots everything

2. water (aqua), decyl glucoside, lauryl betaine, glycerin, butyrospernum parkii (shea butter), raw honey, sodium chloride, Cetyl alcohol, xanthan gum, phenoxyethanol, aloe vera juice, citric acid, benzoic, acid, dehydroacetic acid

ending results - white dots,

3. water (aqua), decyl glucoside, lauryl betaine, glycerin, butyrospernum parkii (shea butter), raw honey, sodium chloride, polysorbate 80, xanthan gum, phenoxyethanol, aloe vera juice, citric acid, benzoic, acid, dehydroacetic acid

Ending results - white dots.

can someone figure out what I’m doing wrong?

You're going to need to post your recipes for those who formulate this type of product to see your measurements.

I’m using a liquid soap base so I don’t know the percentages that are in that.

what I’m adding to the base is the Shea butter, honey, and Cetrimonium chloride (forgot to mention).

do you know what’s the maximum percentage that can be added to a soap base and if I go over could that be the reason for this weird reaction?

My guess is that there isn't enough poly 80 to fully emulsify the extra shea you're adding. But, it really could be anything....decyl glucoside can be a little finicky.
You should probably ask your supplier how many extras you can add.

Okay, the problem is most bases cannot accept much in the way of additives and you're getting separation. As Cellador stated you need to contact the supplier to see what can be added and how much.

What are you hoping to achieve by adding Shea Butter and Honey.
Shea Butter will just reduce the cleaning effectiveness and foaming of your shampoo. If you want it for label appeal then just add it at 0.01%. Put it in your conditioner to achieve some benefit.
Honey will just be 'bug food' and will overwhelm the preservative in the shampoo base causing it to be contaminated by bacteria and fungi.

Most shampoo bases are created to only allow a small amount of fragrance to be added and not much else.

You should probably ask your supplier how many extras you can add.
Good Post.gif

What are you hoping to achieve by adding Shea Butter and Honey.
Shea Butter will just reduce the cleaning effectiveness and foaming of your shampoo. If you want it for label appeal then just add it at 0.01%. Put it in your conditioner to achieve some benefit.
Honey will just be 'bug food' and will overwhelm the preservative in the shampoo base causing it to be contaminated by bacteria and fungi.

Most shampoo bases are created to only allow a small amount of fragrance to be added and not much else.
Hi JustJacqui, I have the same problem with a shampoo of mine, it's the decly glucoside, are you a compound chemist?

@Zoom2222

It is probably best to start a new thread.

To get any real help you will need to provide much more information including a full list of your ingredients and your process. The percentage of ingredients will also help.

Latest posts

Back