water in recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ΦΥΛΙΩ ΣΥΚΑ

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to liquid soap making and have a few questions. What if I add more water in the recipe before trace or immediately after, but before cooking? Wouldn't this give a softer paste that can be dilluted more easily? What will happen if I don't cook the paste but leave it for a month or so for the alkali to completely nutralize-just like in CP soapmaking? Has anybody tried?

Some people don't cook their liquid soap, but let it set until it tests OK. I would not add more water than the recipe calls for, but I am not an expert in liquid soap making. Using hot water to dissolve soap paste works for me.

Last edited:
Yes, many of us use a cold process method to make liquid soap. It doesn't take a month to saponify -- or even one day. Here are some tutorials for more information:

Irish Lass: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=428988 see posts 8 and 9
and: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=57974

Susie: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=49852

I would be careful adding a lot of liquid at trace. It might work, but it might not.

Trace is an indication that the soap batter has reached a stable chemical emulsion. An emulsion can fail if conditions change too much -- adding a lot of liquid or rapidly changing the temperature are two things that could cause emulsion failure.

Thank you both Isg and DeeAnna. Still, I feel tempted to give it a try and see how it works. Not sure yet, but all that time of stirring over and over in order to dilute the soap paste is a bit intimidating. Well, I'll let you know about the results if I do try

Hi! I'm new to liquid soap making and have a few questions. What if I add more water in the recipe before trace or immediately after, but before cooking? Wouldn't this give a softer paste that can be dilluted more easily?

Welcome, ΦΥΛΙΩ ΣΥΚΑ! If Google Translate didn't steer me wrong, does your username translate to 'Friendly' in English?

If my experience with my glycerin liquid soap is anything to go by, yes- you can add more liquid up front and end up with a softer paste, but I don't know how well it will work in a non-glycerin liquid soap batch, though.

To explain, with traditionally-made glycerin liquid soap, the water called for to make the paste is completely replaced by vegetable glycerin using a ratio of 3 parts glycerin to every 1 part KOH (i.e., a 25% lye concentration), which is heated to boiling with KOH to dissolve the KOH before the solution is added to the oils/fats; and then during dilution, distilled water is used to dilute the paste. The reason why the KOH/glycerin is boiled is because that's the only way one can get KOH to dissolve in glycerin.

When I first started making glycerin liquid soap, I used the traditional method of boiling the glycerin/KOH on the stove to dissolve the KOH- which takes about 10 minutes of boiling, by the way- but now I use an easier/less time consuming/safer method: I dissolve my KOH into an equal amount of room temperature water in weight as per the KOH, which takes less than a minute, and then I add to it the full amount of glycerin that I normally would add, which makes a much more dilute lye concentration (4 parts liquid to 1 part KOH- a 20% lye concentration). In the end, this makes a softer paste for me, and because of the extra water I add up front, I don't need as much water during dilution. And it does seem to dilute a little quicker for me.

What will happen if I don't cook the paste but leave it for a month or so for the alkali to completely nutralize-just like in CP soapmaking? Has anybody tried?

Like DeeAnna said, the paste doesn't take a month to saponify or neutralize- it takes a mere few hours, and without the need to cook it. You just mix the warmed oils and warm KOH solution together until emulsified, leave it on the kitchen counter (covered), and walk away. It will completely saponify and become tongue-neutral on its own in a matter of a few hours. The longest I've ever had to wait is 6 hours.

IrishLass :)

Hello IrishLass! Well, my name is the short for Triantafillia which in english means Rosebush and the surname ΣΥΚΑ is the figtree. Thanks for the answer. This makes more sense to me and I will definitely try it. Thanks again!

hello again!
Irish Lass I tried your method and it works wonders. Yet, I didn't use as much glycerin as you do. Only one part of glycerin for one part of KOH. The paste came out rather hard and sticky but as soon as I added the water to dillute it it dissolved very quickly and without much effort. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back