Warnings/Labels question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm working on my lip balm and soap labels, (Canada version!) and most of the stuff is pretty close to the UK versions (ok address changes not withstanding) but I'm confused on a few small points.
1) Where is the accent in the french for ingredients? I've googled and come up with three versions. :oops:
2) so far my warning for the chap stick and the soap is is 'for external use only'. Are there any other I should be thinking of? For soap I have an additional 'Do not use on eyes'.

Am I being overcautious? i've had 2 people try and eat my soap in the UK before (before paying!).

Cheers
Deb

maybe something for those being sensitive to nuts (keep your minds out of the gutter) :lol:

*sncikers* guess where mine just headed?

Is coconut a nut? or is it a fruit? maybe 'do not use if sensitive or allergic to any ingredient'?

what about just putting "discontinue use if irritation or allergic reaction occurs"?

lol, Deb - i typed it, not thinking naughty, and then quickly had to add the dislaimer

how 'bout something to the affect of "People with known allergies and sensitivities should use only with caution."

how bout "Slippery When Wet"
(lol - I'm going to put that on mine :D )

Saw this elsewhere on this forum......'As with all products,please discontinue use if irritation occurs'.But Im not Canadian,so dont know the regs.

On each bar I list the ingredients and include " If you are allergic or sensitive to any of the natural ingredients listed above, do not use this product".

If your products contain essential oils "Contains essential oils, if you are under the care of a physician please consult with him before use." Also "contains fragrance or essential oils babies and young children may be sensitive to their use."

My other warnings are:

"Ingredients and/or equipment may have come in contact with tree nut or peanut oils during processing."

"If irritation occurs discontinue use immediately."

"Avoid eye contact." You could add "known eye irritant."

And I suppose to cover all the bases one would need.

"Do not apply while driving or operating heavy machinary."

Deb, in french it's "ingrédient". Add an S an the end for the plural.

hth : )

hey
thanks for the french translation...

I'm wondering how overboard I'm going with dual language warnings and the like...i mean its chap stick and soap.....not exactly rocket science. *rolls eyes at self*

But better safe than sorry, right?

Well what I would do is see what's in the stores and use that as a reference. If you need translating helps, you can pm me :)

Ok, now I'm confused.

I checked the burte bee's website. http://www.burtsbees.ca/natural-product ... -balm.html, as I figured they as a large company would have accurate labelling and would be a good guide. On their lip balm they list:

Ingredients: Tube: cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil, lanolin, tocopherol, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil (huile de colza), limonene
Tin: cera alba (beeswax, cire d'abeille), cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil, lanolin, tocopherol, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil (huile de colza), limonene

It looks like they list by INCI first, followed by English and French. No way will that all fit on the label as the newer incarnations of Word only seem to go down to point 8 fonts, and not point 6

I also hit health canada's website.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/ind ... .php#eight

" 8.2 Ingredient Nomenclature

The Cosmetic Regulations require that all cosmetic products sold in Canada must list the ingredients on the label using the International Nomenclature for Cosmetic Ingredients (INCI) labelling system as found in the most recent edition of the International Cosmetic Ingredient (ICI) Dictionary and Handbook. The list of ingredients must appear on the outer label of a cosmetic, or if the cosmetic has only one label, on that label. Extra descriptive or marketing terminology is not acceptable in the ingredient list, although it is permissible elsewhere on the label. For certain ingredients and products, such as botanicals and ornamental containers, the manner for listing these is prescribed by the Cosmetic Regulations."

So it looks like INCI label is a must, descriptive name is a no-no and english/french....there isnt' a guideline in the regulation online? *scratches head*

I don't have advice on the label but wanted to say that's it's strange that they only put the wax translated and not the rest.

Deb, I just checked and you can do 6pt on word 2007 (i think that's what I have, the latest). I know it's not in the drop down but you can go in the box and type 6 and it will do it.

HTH

Awesome! thank you Rosey!

I decided to go for inci, french and english. I may just go for inci and english on the soap though as otherwise it won't fit the labels ;-)

Latest posts

Back