Wanna, gonna ... keep chickening out!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waipagrl

Reaction score
Hi all. Was looking for info on CP and stumbled upon this site (so blame google lol) ... then came across the thread on calculating oils. That was scary!!! :lol: I know that thread is a nessary evil so Im going to have to get my head around it eventually ... but little steps I say.

Well I hail from NZ, live in Sydney and love, love, love home made soaps and lotions. Been playing around with melt and pour and gathering info on CP ... so here I am. Cheers.

Welcome. - And go for it, once you take that first step and make your first batch you'll be fine!

A few years ago I was the same. I read about making my own soap, bought the lye and everything….and chickened out. I'm still new, but I now have 5 batches under my belt now and am having a great time! This forum is an excellent resource too. Soap making really isn't as scary as we think :) Good luck!

Thanks guys. I actually am really keen to get around this site, it does look like it's full of ideas and information.

Batch 5 Jessie! Go you. That'll be me one day soon lol. :thumbup:

When you do make that first batch, then you have to wait four weeks to use it, you'll be asking yourself, "Self, why did I wait so long to make this soap?" That's my experience, anyway. But my first ever batch will have been curing for four weeks on 11/25. Almost ready!! So!!! Excited!!!

I had my stuff for almost 2 weeks before getting the nerve to do the first batch and now I can't be stopped. Good luck and welcome

So good to know Im not a lone chicken out there hehe!

You are right kika. I have one more thing to get then Im gonna... A digital thermometer ... no two, a digital set of scales as well. I already have a couple of simple recipes....

Hello and welcome!

I second kikajess's comment about "Why did I wait so long?" I read so much about making soap and felt intimidated by what people had written about using lye. Once I did my first batch, I couldn't believe how silly I felt about procrastinating because of my "fear".

Go for it and have fun!

So I took the plunge and dived right on in and made my 1st batch Dec last year. Floral fragrance disaster. Rose! Seized! Didin't even have time to colour Dong'd my head against the wall (figuratively speaking) Forgot everything I read on floral fragrances ..:-x.

Next batch, goats milk and a colour disaster ... liquid black turned a reddish colour, liquid lime turned a yellowish colour. Haven't a clue why, but I haven't repeated that again (cross fingers). The goats milk stayed a nice cream colour so I got something right at least.

My lavender soap, I didn't realise the fragrance had vanilla included in it and the soap turned a dark brown. Thought the milk was off or something.
The base has kinda lightened now as it's cured, I think... :eh:

As much of a disaster as those were I loved the process and the mystery of the unveiling . So, long story short; I've made more CP, couple of batches of HP, combined melt and pour with CP Lol. Played with yoghurt in both CP and HP .... :lol: Gottta work on the swirls now lol

And I am forever grateful for all the information that I was able to take from this site.:thumbup: It's been brilliant to know I can come in here for direction, ideas, problem solving solutions .... awesome

Last edited:
Congratulations on your batches! A few issues but sounds like you've overcome the trepidation plus having a good time. I don't have any idea why the black turned red and the lime turned yellow. Have you tried these colors in a batch made with water to see if you get the same result?

Isn't it annoying when soap discolors? I've had a few unexpected color changes which is frustrating after reading reviews which state "no discoloration". As for seizing, that's always a shock but (knock on wood) I haven't had a seized batch for a long time. Wait until you experience your first ricing. That's fun, too. :thumbup:

Thank you. It was a shock and panic stations all at once. I was horrified lol.
I dare say I still have a few shocks waiting around the corner but hey, what the heck :grin:

Back