USPS - confused?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norai

Reaction score
I'm trying to wrap my head around shipping - I see that USPS will give you free boxes to ship priority mail items, which includes flat rate boxes here http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/sto...1&parent_category_rn=11820&top_category=11820...

But for items under 13 ounces, first-class shipping is much cheaper - but I'm assuming you have to provide your own boxes for that? If you ship USPS, do you tend to ship priority so you don't have to deal with it, or do you buy your own boxes?

The minimum charge on priority shipping is $4.90. That is for 1# or less.

I ship all items under 13oz by 1st class mail. It saves my customers cash. If I have a customer buy a deodorant stick for $8.50, it can ship 1st class for $1.50 rather than $4.90. If they buy a lip balm for $4.00, it can ship 1st class for about .80cents, rather than $4.90.

1st class is handled and is as quick as priority, it is in fact priority items under 13oz.

Does that make sense?

Oh, and yes, if you ship 1st class you do have to provide your own boxes. I have never bought a box. I recycle boxes I get supplies in and sometimes get them from other local buisnesses.

UPS gives you free boxes if you set up an account. They can be used for USPS shipping, plain brown boxes. Ask for small security boxes.

Back