Using white mica or titanium dioxide to make a layer.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd consider raising your superfat while you are learning. Most people start at 5%. I have now reduced mine to 3% in the last year. When you are learning it's good to have a 'cushion' of extra fat in there to minimise the chance of soap being lye-heavy - and also given your relatively high amount of CO it will help reduce the 'dry' feeling from being too cleansing.
I second the use of refined OO - it's cheaper and paler.
I love the 3 % superfatting my lather is even nicer I will be doing this everytime ❤ it! I will keep in mind for for refined OO for next time I buy it. Right now I have a load of extra virgin OO I got on sale really cheap so I need to use it up but I figured out how to water discount now and my glycerin rivers are gone now with everybody's advice I'm so happy now.
20221115_200052.jpg

Extra virgin OO is very greenish in color, and that transfers to your soap. Try using a refined OO instead - it will be much lighter, and you won't need as much TD to get a white soap. That alone can help reduce the appearance of glycerin rivers.

But if it is still an issue, you can try increasing your lye concentration to 35% or higher. I regularly soap at 45%, which is fine for layers, but that doesn't leave as much working time for fancier swirls or pours.
Thank you for your advice all my cosmetic problems are gone except for air bubbles lol and a bit of a bumpy top on my loaf which I think is from me forcing my gel faze alittle to hot in the oven.
20221115_195145.jpg

Back