Using colorant infused oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like to use some colorant infused oil for CP soap. I'm just unsure the best way to go about this, since I don't want to add it to the entire batch.

Let's say I have a 400g batch.
Of the 400 grams, let's say I choose to use 100 grams of a colored oil.

I'd like to keep the colored oil separate from the rest of the batch to do a small drop swirl.

I'm guessing I need two mixing bowls and just divide the lye/water mixture proportionately? 75% lye solution to the non-infused oil bowl and 25% lye solution into the color infused oil? And then just mix bowls separately bring to the grace I want.

I'll be using EO for fragrance. I'll divide 75% and 25% as well. Is it best to add the EO after my oils have emulsified or should I add the EO Before mixing oils at all?

Thank you.

If you haven't made soap yet, I would encourage you to make a plain (or one color) batch. This will give you an opportunity to begin to recognize emulsion and trace. The most common problem I see new soapers encounter is over stick blending, which can happen much more quickly than you might think. However, if you are set on making the plant infused oil drop swirl soap, you can do it as you described. Be sure to weigh your containers that will hold your batter and lye solution so you can accurately divide them. If you are adding sodium lactate or sugar, your weights will be different than your recipe print out.

I always add my EO and FO at emulsion and hand stir from that point on, unless I am very positive that I am working with a very well behaved fragrance. Even then I tend to add the fragrance at emulsion. Others add it to the oils before adding the lye solution. You will have to find out which way works best for you.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to the pictures!

Yes, you will a container for each and to split your recipe according the amount of colored/uncolored oil you will be using. But I agree with @dibbles...you need to learn to walk before you run and I recommend making a couple of batches of plain soap...no colorants, no scent to get a feel for the process and having an understanding of when things go right...and when they go wrong and how to troubleshoot them.

I've never had great success with splitting my lye solution once it's prepared. I now calculate and make separate oils (to control color) AND separate lye solutions for each portion. Otherwise, I end up with two separate lye concentrations and part of my finished soap has a lovely embossed look after a couple washes post cure. Not exactly what I had intended, but really cool looking anyway.

As for when to add your EOs, many choose to add them at emulsion and then give the stick blender a quick pulse/stir just enough to fully incorporate as well as get the soap batter to a light trace, especially if it's an EO known to accelerate. I personally have become a fan of adding mine to my oils before adding my lye solution because I soap around 90°F and also I'm scared I'll somehow forget to add my EO otherwise.

Last edited:
For me I just calculate & mix my whole batch > stick blend to very light trace > then separate an amount to color in a separate pouring container. I usually split my batch roughly in half, color half and just do ITP swirls or drop swirls, nothing fancy.
But math has never been my strength so my method is less math! 😆

For me I just calculate & mix my whole batch > stick blend to very light trace > then separate an amount to color in a separate pouring container. I usually split my batch roughly in half, color half and just do ITP swirls or drop swirls, nothing fancy.
But math has never been my strength so my method is less math! 😆
Hey, Friend. I usually try not to contradict others 'in public' but wanted to clarify that our overachieving newcomer is coloring his base oils days ahead of time. He is using the colored oil to color his soap. I didn't want him to get the steps wrong. But I'm like you, I add colorant at light trace, too. I'm also for less math too -- or I make Excel do it for me. :)

Hey, Friend. I usually try not to contradict others 'in public' but wanted to clarify that our overachieving newcomer is coloring his base oils days ahead of time. He is using the colored oil to color his soap. I didn't want him to get the steps wrong. But I'm like you, I add colorant at light trace, too. I'm also for less math too -- or I make Excel do it for me. :)
I totally read that wrong ~ I apologize! Actually I was curious about infusing oils ahead also, like with indigo so I'll just lurk and troll in this thread 😉

Latest posts

Back