Using Clay for Colorant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pug Mom

Reaction score
How do you use clay for colorant. I have seen some fabulous pictures of people that have used clay, the pinks are incredible. I saw that BB sells clay, how do you use it in CP soap, and does the color morph to something else?

The colors stay pretty true to how they started, unless they have something in them that is not CP stable. I add 1 tsp PPO, to the lye water if I am making a one color soap, or make a slurry with a little bit of water and add to lightly traced soap if I want to swirl or layer.

Ditto what fiddletree said.

Rose clay is my go-to pink color. It's far, far superior to UM Pink, which always turns to a light lavender in my soap, and I can use a lot less of the clay in comparison to get the pink I desire. I use 1 tsp ppo of the clay. You can also add a little TD to it to get a really nice pastel shade of baby pink.

IrishLass :)

Clay adds a nice 'slip' to the lather, which makes it quite lovely for shaving. Also- as I recently found out- it can act as an anchor to your scents so that they last longer in your soap.

IrishLass :)

In theory it does something nice to the lather, but I can't really tell the difference. However, for a soapmaker, I am dreadful at telling the difference between most soaps in terms of lather! Castile is pretty obvious with it's snot-lather, and goats milk is pretty obvious with what it adds, but everything else is the same to me. I suppose it could also be purifying or detoxifying or whatever what I am of the school of thought where I don't really believe soap does anything other than clean.

Back