Using a Magnetic Stirrer to Mix Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I admit it, I love tech toys. Last year I bought a magnetic stirrer from a laboratory supply company and I've been using it to mix my lye. I love it! Stirring the NaOH into the water was my least favorite part of soapmaking. Now I just put the magnetic stif bar into a beaker filled with water and with the magnetic stirrer going I add the NaOH in small batches. The standard stir bar is silicone and subject to being degraded by the lye so I bought a Pyrex covered stir bar.

If you're not sure what a magnetic stirrer is, here's a picture:
http://www.avogadro-lab-supply.com/item ... 289/p3c125

Has anyone else tried this? I love my magnetic stirrer!

Nifty idea. I've always loved magnetic stirrers when working in labs back in the day.

But my lye mixes so easily I don't really mind it. I add the lye to the water, stir a few seconds and see it clearing then walk away. I should probably stir until it's entirely clear, but I don't.

Oooooooooooo............I love nice toys.............er.............good tools too :)

What type of container do you use to mix the lye ?
I normally use stainless steel kettles. Would that work ?

@ Carebear.
" I should probably stir until it's entirely clear, but I don't."
I am guilty of this too. Nowhere else to mix other than the guest bathroom which is the only pet safe room in the house, but even with the windows open I cannot abide the smell of the lye for too long. It is usually too windy outside to be messing with lye, so that is the only option I have :(

I used to use the exact setup for mixing NaOH when I worked in a lab. The stuff I buy now dissolves so easily that I wouldn't go through the added expense, but it definitely works.

RE: mixing NaOH until it's totally clear- my lab director always insisted this was an important step. I haven't figured out if it has any bearing on soap-making, though.

if you don't mix it until it's clear, it CAN settle out and form a lump or layer on the bottom = looks like ice, actually (ask me how I know).

Beaker

MagiaDellaLuna, I use a Pyrex beaker with the magnetic stirrer. A metal kettle wouldn't work; the magnetic stir bar would just stick to the metal and not spin.

I always have stirred the lye until it is totally clear. Now, with the magnetic stirrer, I just let it run and walk away, leaving it in the closed off kitchen near the range with the range hood fan on.

Re: Beaker

Jaaret said:
MagiaDellaLuna, I use a Pyrex beaker with the magnetic stirrer. A metal kettle wouldn't work; the magnetic stir bar would just stick to the metal and not spin.

I always have stirred the lye until it is totally clear. Now, with the magnetic stirrer, I just let it run and walk away, leaving it in the closed off kitchen near the range with the range hood fan on.

Thanks, Jaaret. Seems that this is not meant for me, then. I normally mix up fairly large batches and after some very close calls with Pyrex containers exploding I will not use anything other than stainless steel. I really like the "hands off" approach though, so I will look out for some other mechanical way to do the job.

ive never made a batch of lye water big enough to really be noticeably bad smelling, but i do make soap with black tea and i believe that your magnetic stirrer would be a godsend for it.

tea + lye = worst smell EVER :shock:

how big of a batch of lye water can you make with your stirrer Jaaret?

Hmmmm. You've really got me thinking! I have an extra one of these at work that I could bring home.
Have you tried using it for stirring your oils and lye to bring to trace? Imagine not having to use the stick blender!

Latest posts

Back