Trace questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippie13

Reaction score
So I've made 2 batches of HP soap and I think I got the trace right on each but I want to try CP soap now because it seems a lot of easier. I've watched some videos on Youtube and it seems like they are getting to light trace and then adding colorants and/or separating to do swirls. What does light trace look like and about how long does it take to set up in a mold if I only get to light trace?

You can pour your CP batter at a few different stages. It mostly depends on what sort of design you're trying to accomplish. If you're only using one or two colours and want a heavily textured top, you can pour at thick trace. If you want a bit less texture and more fluidity, you can pour at light trace. If you want to do a super fluid or complex technique like certain swirls, you can pour at emulsion.

As long as everything is well-mixed, when you pour doesn't matter TOO much. I usually only stick-blend till emulsion (which is only a couple minutes) then add my colours and pour.

Someone posted a great little video showing what it looks like when you reach emulsion... hopefully someone can dig it up and post it here!

You can tell that you're at light trace when you lift your stickblender out of the batter and let it drip, and the drips leave a mark on the surface of the batter.

Here you go: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39pLHKMtN6o[/ame]

This one may also be usefull to you : )

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XK4VjBPTBI[/ame]

So I've made 2 batches of HP soap and I think I got the trace right on each but I want to try CP soap now because it seems a lot of easier. I've watched some videos on Youtube and it seems like they are getting to light trace and then adding colorants and/or separating to do swirls. What does light trace look like and about how long does it take to set up in a mold if I only get to light trace?

Those videos should answer your questions about what it looks like.

Regarding how long the soap will take to set up when your pour at whatever trace you choose, depends on a few factors, which means we can't really say exactly.

Factors that affect how long soap sets up include: formula (what oils & additives are used play a role in set up and gel accomplishment); soaping temperatures (hotter temps tend to encourage faster gelling); ambient temperatures when the soap is resting, such as a refrigerator (for milk soaps) or CPOP (to encourage gel) or a very hot room in the summertime or a very cold room (or garage) in the wintertime, etc.

Earlene is right - there are a lot of factors to consider.

What is your base recipe? If you are using palm or tallow, it will trace and harden faster than a lard soap and MUCH faster than a soap made with mostly liquid oils.

How much water are you using?

Fragrances are also a factor.

Generally speaking, soaping cooler will buy you more time. I've started to really like soaping between 90 and 100. Of course, that depends on your oils - 90-100 is too cool if I'm soaping with beeswax.

To answer your questions in a general sort of water, we call it "trace" because when you pull out your stick blender and dribble some on the top of the batter, it should leave a trace or a trail. Like thin pudding.

Yes, those videos were supper helpful when I had the same question. I used to do only HP before.

Crafters Choice has an online digital magazine you can view if you have bought anything there, and I think is May or June edition there is a very interesting article about this. The person that wrote it mentions that she made an experiment where she put lye and oil in a container without mixing, and left it along for a very long time ( I think she said 6 months) without mixing and eventually still turned into soap.

I thought about taking a screen shot, but that might be their copyright, so I didn't.

Latest posts

Back