Too much spearmint EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwwh67

Reaction score
I have a previous soap that I had added too much spearmint EO - like 6 or 8gr in 300 gr oils in my soap batch. I am now aware that spearmint EO should be used at a wayyyy lower concentration. If it sits for a while, can it be used or should I grate it and use it in small amounts in other soaps?

Last edited:
too much spearmint EO - like 6 or 8ml in 300 ml oils
First of all, ml is a volume measure. For better accuracy it is recommended to add fragrance by weight, i.e., grams.

I used EO Calc to determine how much Spearmint to use in 300g of soap. Since it doesn't give results for single EOs I picked a blend with the fewest number of EOs. Scroll down to see the result. The red area signifies dangerous levels of EO.

https://www.eocalc.com/calculate-us...it=g&ms_new_product_type=14997&blend_id=16343

Spearmint EO should be used at a wayyyy lower concentration.
:thumbs: Correct.
or should I grate it and use it in small amounts in other soaps?
Yes, that. I would grate it up and add it to a larger batch to use up the whole amount of spearmint in the first batch. :)

Last edited:
First of all, ml is a volume measure. For better accuracy it is recommended to add fragrance by weight, i.e., grams.

I used EO Calc to determine how much Spearmint to use in 300g of soap. Since it doesn't give results for single EOs I picked a blend with the fewest number of EOs. Scroll down to see the result. The red area signifies dangerous levels of EO.

https://www.eocalc.com/calculate-us...it=g&ms_new_product_type=14997&blend_id=16343

:thumbs: Correct.

Yes, that. I would grate it up and add it to a larger batch to use up the whole amount of spearmint in the first batch. :)
Thank you. My mistake, I did mean grams not ml. I didn't use the EO calculator previously but will from now on. I had used the soap myself. I didn't notice any issue with sensitivity

You can use EO Calc to figure out the useage rate for one essential oil.
On the home page, there is a tab you can click to 'calculate your own blend'
EO calc 1.jpg
When you select that, you will choose the essential oil and enter 100%. Fill in the weight, choose oz or g, choose the type of product you are making and click on 'give me the usage rates'.
EO calc 2.jpg
You will then see something like this
EO calc 3.jpg
I don't have time to figure out how much soap you will have to add to this batch, but I think it will be a lot. Maybe you can shred it all up and only use part of it at a time, making more when you run out.

Latest posts

Back