Tips for a more bubbly, less sticky bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
So I've been at this soapmaking thing for about 8 months now, and had come up with a recipe I liked quite a bit. I have been using it for months and my skin feels awesome, but when I tried another soapers bar that I had ordered on etsy a few weeks ago, I realized how much better it is than mine! :( Mainly due to it's bubbles being more bubbly and less creamy than mine, and the soap was more slippery than sticky like mine can be at first.

I usually use around 50% hard oils (palm and coconut) and 25% olive oil. Then the other 25% is made up of castor, grapeseed, sometimes corn or safflower. I've been mixing it up a little, but most times the soap is 75% palm, coconut, and olive.

Can anyone see what might be causing the bar to be sticky? I find it to be a little waxy. When I first go to use a new bar it sticks and drags on my skin a bit. It does not "slide" well until it's really wet and lathery.

Also, I don't understand why I am getting more creamy bubbles than bubbly bubbles. I use coconut and castor oils in every recipe, and even started adding some sugar (as Paul recommended) to up the bubbles. I am still getting creamier bubbles.

P.S. - I HAVE played around with soapcalc many times to see how the numbers change by using different oils. I don't want to up the coconut for more bubbles because I've read that it can be drying. I don't want to up the castor because of it causing DOS at high percentages. I just can't seem to figure out how to get the bubbly bubbles!

Any suggestions? TIA!

No suggestions other than to say it sounds like you have a darn good grip on the way things work already and I even learned things just from your post!

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

KnitchyFingers said:
No suggestions other than to say it sounds like you have a darn good grip on the way things work already and I even learned things just from your post!

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Thanks! I do hope it shows.... God knows I have spent countless hours researching. I have been neck deep in soapmaking for the last 8 months! It's definitely my new favourite hobby!

Back