Time to make tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always wanted to try making a loaf with some tallow in a but the only 2 grocery store clerks I asked said it was against regulations and the cost compared to
lard is crazy. What are the differences lard for those who have tried it? Or is Ladka.😄 That is a lovely name BTW

For me, tallow makes a harder, slightly more cleansing bar than lard. It also isn't quite as slow-moving as lard, although it is not a fast mover compared to CO or pomace. It is fantastic combined with lard and a bit of CO/PKO, a soft oil, and some form of sugar.

I have always wanted to try making a loaf with some tallow in a but the only 2 grocery store clerks I asked said it was against regulations and the cost compared to
lard is crazy. What are the differences lard for those who have tried it? Or is Ladka.😄 That is a lovely name BTW
It has a creamy lather that I just love. I put some in nearly every batch I make. I don't know what the difference is exactly but I can tell when a bar doesn't have it.

I don't filter mine, other than pouring it through a fine-mesh stainless steel strainer after the initial rendering. That gets out the big particles. Then I do successive cleanings like @Ladka described, scraping the yucky stuff off the bottom.

When we had chickens, they got the cracklins and the scrapings. Let me tell you, they LOVED that stuff, especially during the winter months when they needed more calories to stay warm. Now that we are chicken-less, I toss all scrapings and cracklins into the recycled food container in my fridge that holds the used cooking oils that aren't good for rendering. When that container gets full, it goes out in the bin on trash collection day, and the process starts over with another recycled container in the fridge. This keeps the stink and mess out of my garbage can.

Latest posts

Back