Thinking About Making CP...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorpheusPA

Reaction score
I make MP and enjoy it very much for the artistry I can create...which family and friends love.

I think it might be time to graduate to CP. The lye worries me, so I'll probably look like Ralphie's brother from A Christmas Story (the snowsuit incident) when I first use it. I fully plan on a rubber apron, lab coat, long pants and shirt, and full face shield plus respirator. I'm sure I'll get over the worries...I manage to use gasoline without exploding myself, after all...and haven't electrocuted myself with wall power yet, either...

I've reviewed about 90 pages of this board but didn't see my question. What's the recommended Beginner's First Easy Soap Mix? By preference, something I'd have a hard time destroying without considerable work.

Thanks much!

MorpheusPA said:
I make MP and enjoy it very much for the artistry I can create...which family and friends love.

I think it might be time to graduate to CP. The lye worries me, so I'll probably look like Ralphie's brother from A Christmas Story (the snowsuit incident) when I first use it. I fully plan on a rubber apron, lab coat, long pants and shirt, and full face shield plus respirator. I'm sure I'll get over the worries...I manage to use gasoline without exploding myself, after all...and haven't electrocuted myself with wall power yet, either...

I've reviewed about 90 pages of this board but didn't see my question. What's the recommended Beginner's First Easy Soap Mix? By preference, something I'd have a hard time destroying without considerable work.

Thanks much!

As far as just starting out, I reccommend usually that people start with single-oil soap recipes (make sure you use a soap calculator so that you are able to calculate the correct amount of ingredients and make a safe soap)... this way you will get to know the properties of each oil as a soap, and then know which oils you like to work with the best.

Lye isnt all that scary once you get used to working with it... gasoline is far more dangerous ....just be sure to have some vinegar around to neutralize any spills...

There isnt really any easy beginners soapmix... but the first one I ever did can be found here: http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... ght=#23264

hope that helps! feel free to ask any questions you have!

always here to help!

welcome to the forum !!

IanT said:
Lye isnt all that scary once you get used to working with it... gasoline is far more dangerous ....just be sure to have some vinegar around to neutralize any spills...

Tell the DS that. :) The agreement is that I'll only mix the lye outside in the garage with the door open and bring it inside once the nasty outgassing is done with. How much there is of that, I guess I'll learn...

IanT said:
There isnt really any easy beginners soapmix... but the first one I ever did can be found here: http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... ght=#23264

Wow...thanks! I hope I can do half as well as that with my first soap, and that mix sounds really nice, too. I'm going to try that first as I have dry skin and a good Bastille would be a real help.

MorpheusPA said:
IanT said:

Tell the DS that. :) The agreement is that I'll only mix the lye outside in the garage with the door open and bring it inside once the nasty outgassing is done with. How much there is of that, I guess I'll learn...

IanT said:

Wow...thanks! I hope I can do half as well as that with my first soap, and that mix sounds really nice, too. I'm going to try that first as I have dry skin and a good Bastille would be a real help.

I always tell people if you have ever cooked food or baked a cake...its just like making soap. lol I think I had a bit of beginners luck... that and I literally did research for 10 hours a day, read as much info as I could...asked looooooads of questions...made sure I had all the neede supplies and safety equipment...

as far as outgassing and fumes with the lye... its not like it gets all smokey and stuff...you might see a little steam..but its really not as intense a reaction as you think... just make sure you are mixing it in something that can handle the heat... it will get HOT!... I like something with a pour spout so I can easily pour it with no spills... its really not all that scary once you get used to it... show DS the process...prob be less afraid upon seeing the reaction etc...

but you need to do what makes you comfortable. I know seasoned soapers that still mix their lye outside...its a personal preference... I do mine inside, but with that said, I leave a window and a door open and a fan running...for nice ventilation... I use my cats as an indicator because theyre much more sensitive to the environment than us humans... if they start running around and going crazy, I know something is probably not right (or theyre just bored)...

its not animal testing per se but I discovered that they dont like incense that way.... so I dont really burn them anymore... they tend to freak out whenever I do...

hope this helps!

Thanks again!

Ah, well, the idea has been nixed. After some subdued simmering, the DS requested that lye never enter this household.

Should I mention that it's a part of a lot of kitchen cleaners, drain cleaners, and is somewhat safer than boiling water? Naw, that's just asking for Trouble (with the capital-T).

I'll see if I can find a soapmaking class around here. To that, there's no objection...

MorpheusPA said:
Thanks again!

Ah, well, the idea has been nixed. After some subdued simmering, the DS requested that lye never enter this household.

Should I mention that it's a part of a lot of kitchen cleaners, drain cleaners, and is somewhat safer than boiling water? Naw, that's just asking for Trouble (with the capital-T).

I'll see if I can find a soapmaking class around here. To that, there's no objection...

thats not cool!!! Although you ultimately dont want to cause problems in your relationships... Its an issue we have seen come up before... usually we suggest that you sit down and explain everything, even show him the forum so he understands... lye really isnt that dangerous if used properly... to me its like he is saying he doesnt trust you as a competent adult to be able to use a chemical safely... sooo... my suggestion is next dont clean the house... and when he asks why, and tells you the place looks like a mess and that you should clean it up.....tell him no thank you, I cant because these are "daaaaaaaaaaaaaangerous chemicals.." and I should leave that to the pros... cough cough ... so you can clean it your damned self!

I hate seeing people held back when they want to pursue something creative... to me its just ignorant on your DS' part... puuuuure ignorance...

not my battle to fight, but I feel strongly that you should stick up for yourself, and whatever youd like to pursue...you are an adult and thus should be treated accordingly... and not like a little child... I mean whats next? locks on the chemical cabinets?... what happens if your drain gets clogged? Draino is 99.8% lye... with the extra .2% being moisture that is absorbed from the atmosphere ...

i need to stop or Ill keep going forever...

IanT said:
thats not cool!!! Although you ultimately dont want to cause problems in your relationships... Its an issue we have seen come up before... usually we suggest that you sit down and explain everything, even show him the forum so he understands... lye really isnt that dangerous if used properly... to me its like he is saying he doesnt trust you as a competent adult to be able to use a chemical safely... sooo... my suggestion is next dont clean the house... and when he asks why, and tells you the place looks like a mess and that you should clean it up.....tell him no thank you, I cant because these are "daaaaaaaaaaaaaangerous chemicals.." and I should leave that to the pros... cough cough ... so you can clean it your damned self!

I hate being that passive-aggressive, it's so not my style. I'm openly aggressive. :)

Tabitha: DS = Dear Spouse. :)

IanT said:
not my battle to fight, but I feel strongly that you should stick up for yourself, and whatever youd like to pursue...you are an adult and thus should be treated accordingly... and not like a little child... I mean whats next? locks on the chemical cabinets?... what happens if your drain gets clogged? Draino is 99.8% lye... with the extra .2% being moisture that is absorbed from the atmosphere ...

Agreed. I took chem in high school and college. I know basic safety and have no intention of ignoring it. I've safely used both hydrofluoric and concentrated sulfuric acid in labs, not to mention simpler household things like ammonia. Plus horticultural-grade vinegar (20% concentration). I have a healthy respect for chemicals, take great care, and have never suffered an injury.

Like everybody says, respect the lye. Don't fear the lye, that's just asking for trouble. But always respect the lye, remember what you're working with, and never, ever grow complacent. 99 successes does not mean you can be careless at #100.

That having been said, most people think Lye Is Really Scary. I get that. The power of marketing and all. Give me some time to work on it...

So no more noodles, pretzels, paper, textile and canned fruits and veggies for your husband?
We commonly refer to our husbands as DH (dear husband) and to our sons as DS over here :p
But anyway, in my opinion spouses should leave eachother the space to have hobbies they like; and there's some danger in pretty much anything.
My husband almost set the house on fire cause he fell asleep with food on the stove, but I can hardly tell him not to cook again :p It's one of the few things he really enjoys...
I've done ballet, hockey, rollerskating, horsebackriding, hiking & biking and I seriously think with all those hobbies I had a bigger chance of getting seriously injured than with soap making!
The other day I climbed up our roof on the 7th floor to hang our cat net on the balcony a bit tighter. When I tried to jump down my boot got stuck in the net and I dangled upside down above the balcony :roll: So maybe having gets is a dangerous hobby too? :wink:

MorpheusPA said:
IanT said:

I hate being that passive-aggressive, it's so not my style. I'm openly aggressive. :)

Tabitha: DS = Dear Spouse. :)

IanT said:

Agreed. I took chem in high school and college. I know basic safety and have no intention of ignoring it. I've safely used both hydrofluoric and concentrated sulfuric acid in labs, not to mention simpler household things like ammonia. Plus horticultural-grade vinegar (20% concentration). I have a healthy respect for chemicals, take great care, and have never suffered an injury.

Like everybody says, respect the lye. Don't fear the lye, that's just asking for trouble. But always respect the lye, remember what you're working with, and never, ever grow complacent. 99 successes does not mean you can be careless at #100.

That having been said, most people think Lye Is Really Scary. I get that. The power of marketing and all. Give me some time to work on it...

Lol well this is something...I would say you should be rabidly openly agressive about it else pretty much lose your rights as a responsible adult in your household :)

I have a lawyers mind... so the first thing I would do is get a list of things that are made with lye (like the things dag mentioned) and show it to hubby ....
so work on it :) let us know of your progress :)

Dateline, 24 hours later. "Well, if it's something you really want to do...you should. But please, don't mix lye in the house."

I can live with that. Easily.

I'll carefully neglect to mention that, post-mixing, raw soap has a small amount of lye in it until it reacts. I'll mold in the sink in the laundry room, though. We don't use that.

My mother's also flipping out about it. Just as an incidental data point, I celebrated my 41st birthday 2 1/2 weeks ago. I haven't lived at home in ages. Honestly, when do parents recognize that you're a responsible adult with chemicals? --answer, never...even after you designed a soil aerator using pure SLS and yucca extract, diluted for application, and used that and plenty of other things to adjust both your and her lawn's soil chemistry so that they're both bright green in January in Pennsylvania.

Well, I'll pick my battles here. :)

lol ... sounds like a victory on your part :) good job! :)

Looking forward to seeing your creations... you mom is probably just worried because of all the hype around lye... It wont last long once you make her some nice smelling soaps and leave them in the bathroom for her to use :)

ah ds, my hubby did not care about the lye issue, he doesnt like the smells, and soap in the oven or fridge, so luckily i have a cottage that i can do whatever i want in! I would be more worried walking in the house with the lye/water mix than stirring it in the sink near a window. I would prob trip or something. good luck, ps i was petrified the first time i used lye, you get used to it.

I sort of compare working with lye to working with bleach, ajax, hot cooking grease... You have to repect all of these things and use with care and proper safety precautions.

agriffin said:
I sort of compare working with lye to working with bleach, ajax, hot cooking grease... You have to repect all of these things and use with care and proper safety precautions.
I compare it to dealing with men. Royal pain, but the end result can be marvelous if you use care.

carebear said:
agriffin said:
I compare it to dealing with men. Royal pain, but the end result can be marvelous if you use care.

lol I m going to remember that ;)

IanT said:
carebear said:
agriffin said:

lol I m going to remember that ;)
:p

Latest posts

Back