Think I added too much water to my lye solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandy1919

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I have been making our own soap for about 8 years. but I made a batch of soap Fri night and had an unusual result. I may have added two more ounces of water than the lye calc called for. What ever happened, my soap didn't completely saponify, I think, as there was about a half inch layer of oils on top of the solid stuff. This was rather an expensive batch for me so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could save it. I just got done putting it in a crockpot. Not sure why. My recipe is as follows:

4oz Avocado Oil
4oz Castor Oil
22oz Coconut Oil
6oz Pomace Olive Oil
10oz Palm Oil
12oz Shea Butter
22oz water : 238 grams of lye. (I may have put in 240z of water by mistake)

Is there a snowballs chance I can save this batch? Thanks Sandy

Extra water won't make oils separate like that. Did you reach trace before you poured? You can save it but make sure you put everything in the crock pot, even the liquid oils that were on top.

This recipe was so different from my usual, I wonder if I reached a false trace. Any way. I did crockpot the soap and poured it back into the mold. it is still soft and looks a little weird but it has not separated so far. :thumbup:

Thats very possible. Does it have much hard butters? Do you soap cool? I only had false trace once and that recipe had coco butter and shea butter in higher amounts.

I do cold process. And I do not usually use shae butter. I usually use just basic coconut, castor, lard, palm and some kind of oil that I have on hand. I don't check the temps of anything before I mix my lye water and oils, just feel the containers with my hands. my soap is mostly just for my family but I would like to start selling some. maybe. So I guess I will have to be more careful with the whole process if I go more expensive, right? Sandy

Latest posts

Back