Thermometer trouble

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueValkyrie

Reaction score
I think I've managed to fry my thermometer by soaping - it now shows really high temps all the time - I've had it in the fridge for last hour in the hopes that it might 're-calibrate' itself, but it's showing a temperature of 76*C/168*F :shock:

Needless to say, my fridge is not that hot :p Earlier I tried holding the probe in my hand, and it read that my temperature was 87*C/189*F - I must be pretty ill :!:

I only got it a few weeks ago, before making my first batch (I've made four now). I don't soap hot - the last batch I used it for was a coffee one - I used triple brewed coffee as water, which I refrigerated before adding the lye - the temp didn't go crazy high - I think the hottest was maybe 160*F (really should keep better notes), which I let cool to 105*F before combining with oils at similar temp.

Here's the thermometer I have: http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20103016 It says that it measures up to 130*C/266*F - I've never gone anywhere near that.

Does anyone have any experience of these thermometers? Maybe they just don't like lye? I've never used it for cooking, or anything other than soaping.

I doubt it has anything to do with soaping and lye shouldn't be a problem. I think it just broke. Or maybe it has bad batteries?

Thanks for replying :) That may well be the case - I'm going to bring it back - I imagine they'll prefer to replace it rather than refund, so we'll see how a new one lasts. I've changed the battery, but it hasn't helped.

Latest posts

Back