The Mint Family

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cally

Reaction score
I always hear things about Peppermint this and Peppermint that and I'm wondering if there is really a big difference between the properties of the different types of mint. I have some mint growing in my backyard but hell if I know what variety it is. I also have pond mint that looks different than the regular found it growing just outside my fence and stole it from the bugs mint. Are any and all of these varieties going to be nice? Specifically I'm making a vinegar rinse at the moment with rosemary, sage and some of this mint that I have. I figure the worst it can do is make my hair fall out, leach into my brain, kill me and bring about the zombie apocalypse. And really, would that be so bad?

Yes, I think a zombie apocalypse would be bad. At least all the movies I've seen have given me this impression. :shock:

I really don't know about the different types of mint. Have you taken some samples of these mints to a local nursery and asked if anyone can identify them?

Uhm, no...Duh? That would be logical. Me and logical don't spend too much time together, not since she and Imagination got in this *huge* fight back in third grade. Imagination had this fist full of hair and...well, suffice it to say things didn't end well for Logical and she is still holding a grudge.

Now that I have that suggestion I might look into it :)

As a second question. This vinegar/water/herb mixture that I've made. How long will it last before it goes bad? I made quite a bit so I'm hoping it's in the month(s) range.

Cally said:
As a second question. This vinegar/water/herb mixture that I've made. How long will it last before it goes bad? I made quite a bit so I'm hoping it's in the month(s) range.

I don't know much about mint. I just found out there's a chocolate mint! :shock:

As for the water/vinegar/herb mix, it can go bad pretty quick. I did that with just apple cider vinegar & green tea and it started growing mold under the cover of the container in 3 weeks. I was storing it in the fridge. I didn't throw it out and just left it in the back of my fridge, but I didn't use it. In all honesty I ended up forgetting it was back there. 2 months later I come upon it and the entire inside walls of the bottle were covered in black. *shudder*

There are some minor differences in the mints and some are way toxic such as wintergreen which is a mint. I use Spearmint and Peppermint as well as menthol crystals depending on what I'm working with. Peppermint has a higher menthol concentration than Spearmint and Spearmint is a little sweeter. There is also Cornmint and I think another one....

Latest posts

Back