The gift of soap the option for the clueless...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topcat

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I just received an email from my Dad and had to share with you :lol: :lol: :lol:

He sent me a link to an article in the Sydney Morning Herald for my perusal....knowing full well that is he is getting SOAP for Christmas!

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/12/ ... 99636.html

P.S: This is just his sense of humour......I can picture him rolling around in his computer chair as he anticipates me reading this "wit's" words!!!

Tanya :wink:

Who was it that first came up with the idea of marketing soap as a luxury Christmas gift? I mean, really, soap? It makes as much sense as Special Occasion Windex, presented in a limited-edition Christmassy box: "Mum mentioned that your house has windows, Aunty June, so I thought this was just perfect."
-LOL!

Hilarious

Hilarious :lol: :lol:
I have certainly flicked that on to several people including my mum,sister in law and Brother who I collectively sent them a large Box of "...." in NZ for $39.00 postage and my mum already got in a week or so ago and told me not to send soap , she was happy just to look at the web site. But it is my job to convert the world :lol: :shock: :lol:

I hope Mr Richard Glover receives tons of Christmas soap from readers. :lol:

How do we educate this dude

:p
This dude needs some serious soap education.
Can we send him a 'Scrub a Gram' Have a truck with a mobile hot tub on board and a few cuties armed with our High Quality Natural Oil, extremely healthy and envirimentally friendly soap bars.
Have the media there as well and do the obvious, have him scrubbed up by these cute little scrubbers on National TV untill he retracts those demeaning comments about my reason for living and breathing. :cry:

I know......I read it with some appreciation for the humour and the writer's idea of the 'have to buy something' mentality that Christmas can generate.....and I can relate to the shopping experience at this time of year also. But did he have to pick on SOAP?!!! :wink:

Tanya :lol:

Thanks for sharing that!!! It was so funny, yet so true on many levels. Except the part about luxury soap being different. And why doesn't Windex have festive wrapping around the holidays?

Digit

Yeah! I got a good laugh off of that and can certainly appreciate the humor. But it made me think, as well. :eek:

I've decided that giving handmade "anything" isn't the same as receiving commercial "anything." I'm intrigued, pretty much, by anything that is made well by someone else. So, if I did receive a bottle of homemade window cleaner, well, that would be intriguing.

Homemade/handmade is a lucury to me! I don't know anyone, personally, that makes handmade soap, or a lot of anything handmade for that matter, but I sure wish I did! :wink:

kellistarr said:
Homemade/handmade is a lucury to me!
Absolutely! I agree. IMHO, a gift that is handmade or homemade by the giver is even more precious to me, because I see it as gift of their time. Doesn't even matter if it is the ugliest thing I have ever laid my eyeballs on, it is a gift of the heart.
Digit

I'm only a newbie (only two batches made to date), but I gotta disagree with the authors' opinion on the idea of Christmas soap.

I think that people have different expectations of what they hope to recieve for Christmas anyway.

Some shallow greedy person will be dissapointed with anything short of a major expense, but a frugally minded mature adult will likely have the wisdom & good character to appreciate anything that's given with genuinely loving sentiment.

That having been said, I also think that generally, handmade gifts are best accompanied with something commercial. It just rounds out the experience, that's all.

Latest posts

Back