Surf Wax Recipes!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh this is fun! I have been digging through my old soaping notes and I found a few recipes for home made surf wax!

🌊 Sticky Warm Water Wax Recipe

Ingredients:

• Beeswax: 2250g
  • Coconut Oil: 750ml (695.25g at 0.927 specific gravity)
Instructions:

1. Melt the beeswax thoroughly.
  2. Warm the coconut oil until it melts.
  3. Mix the melted coconut oil into the beeswax—stir well for a good blend.
  4. Pour the mixture into paper cups and let it set.
This simple mix uses just beeswax and coconut oil for an all-natural wax that smells as good as it grips.

❄️ Sticky Cool Water Wax Recipe

Ingredients:

• Beeswax: 3 parts
  • Coconut Oil: 1 part
  • Tree Resin: 1 part (can be sourced as granulated incense or tapped directly from trees, though it’s a bit of a mission!)
Instructions:

1. Melt the beeswax.
  2. Stir in the coconut oil and tree resin until you get a consistent mixture.
  3. Pour it into your molds of choice and let it cool down.
Tree resin gives this wax extra stickiness, making it perfect for those cooler water sessions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know nothing about surfing or surf wax so I can't speak to that. Also, I know you're not in Canada and I don't know about regs in your area but here, sun block and/or sunscreen is classified as a drug and every single batch must be tested and a license is required to produce and sell it. I make a zinc ointment but cannot market it as a sunblock/sunscreen, or make any other claims that might border on medical.

I know nothing about surfing or surf wax so I can't speak to that. Also, I know you're not in Canada and I don't know about regs in your area but here, sun block and/or sunscreen is classified as a drug and every single batch must be tested and a license is required to produce and sell it. I make a zinc ointment but cannot market it as a sunblock/sunscreen, or make any other claims that might border on medical.
Sun blocking products are regulated similarly in the US.

Selling DIY versions would also void any business or business liability insurance should the company find out.

Yup forgot to add the sunblock is for personal use only!

I would not be recommending CO as a carrier for zinc oxide for a sunscreen, that's what got people into trouble in times gone by, CO burns. You would also need to know percentages of zinc oxide and not just guess. Sunscreen is something you don't play around with, if you think there are carcinogens in sunscreen and not use it, try living with getting bcc's cut out of your body every 6 months.

It is irresponsible to even suggest the above recipe for personal use.

TBH I was more excited about the surf wax recipes. That was my main reason for posting this snippet from my notes. I have a whole lot more that I will be posting because I think or at least hope some of it may be of value to someone out there. Skin cancer runs in my family. I do not mess around with skin care products. Most of the time for sun protection I use pure Desitin ointment because its **** near 75% ZO and blocks the sun great for my nose and under my eyelids when I am out surfing for 5+ hours.

Back