superfatting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandra

Reaction score
How do you know how much oil to use when superfatting at trace? I'm assuming it would depend on the oil but where to find this info?

Most people superfat at about 5%. You can't control what oil gets superfatted when you're making CP. You can add your superfat oil at trace, but it is going to saponify with the rest of 'em since the process can take 24 hours or so to complete.

I have heard (on these boards) that the only way to control which oil is getting superfatted in your soap is to make hot process soap.

AshleyR said:
Most people superfat at about 5%. You can't control what oil gets superfatted when you're making CP. You can add your superfat oil at trace, but it is going to saponify with the rest of 'em since the process can take 24 hours or so to complete.

I have heard (on these boards) that the only way to control which oil is getting superfatted in your soap is to make hot process soap.

I totally agree....I also superfat at 5%. I like adding castor after the cook because it results in a very luxe soap with very inexpensive oils.

Is 5 % what you would add for any oil ( I am going to attempt hot process this week) Also, do you factor in the castor in any of your equations or percentages? Is there anywhere on soapcalc.com to input the superfatting when you're adding it after the cook or does it not effect any of the amounts of oils? I'm such a newbie!!! :oops:

for CP you want to enter your WHOLE recipe in and select a 5% superfat/lye discount on the calculator.

for HP you can do the same, or you can enter in all your initial oils and select a 0% superfat/lye discount and then add your superfatting oil at 5% of the total weight.

Latest posts

Back