Superfatting - What % Do You Use ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most recipes I use 7-8%. No real science behind it, I just did a bunch of test batches and that's where my skin likes my soap the best. The 100% coconut bars (or 80/20 coconut shea) I use 20%, my salt bars are 15-20% depending on what else is in them besides coconut. I never go below 5-6% on anything.

I have very dry skin in hands and feet so I tend to play between 10-15%. The lowest I did was 5% because I was a beginner with soapcalc and didn't even know what it meant ;)
The highest I ever did was 20% on a 60% coconut soap which turned out divine! I do want to go higher at some point but I fear that the soap will be too soft.

I play around with it and haven't really decided what I like best yet. I usually do somewhere between 7-10%. I did a batch yesterday with added cream at the end so went a little lower with 5%. I never go below 5% though. I did a 100% CO and did 20% but it is still too harsh for my skin.

artisan soaps said:
Interesting that people seem to favour (what I consider) a high SF .. I've been trying to keep it low because I'm worried about the free oils turning rancid (DOS), so working towards creating mildness within the oil blend itself .. The Goats Milk certainly helps!

Apparently sf% has no effect on DOS

http://cavemanchemistry.com/HsmgDos2006.pdf

I use 6% as default and go up to 8 with a GM shea bar & baby soap. I have rather dry 47yo skin and the 6% works well for me.

Back