sunflower oil a heater?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my last three batches overheating. I thought it was the new FO's but today I used a tried and true FO blend that is problem free.
The only other thing is a new oil, its a blend of 85% sunflower and 15% coconut. My recipe is 50% lard, 25% sunflower, 20% coconut, 5% castor. Amount were adjusted to account for the blend.

Typical CP, mixed lye and water, let cool some. Melted oils, also let cool some. Since I was only using one color and wanted the batter a bit thick, I mixed a bit warm. I got medium trace in just a couple minutes, poured into a 6 x 6 x 1 slab mold made from corrugated plastic.

Within 10 minutes it was putting heat off in waves, a few more minutes seen it go into full gel. It should have never gelled in that mold, it has zero heat retention properties. Anyone ever have issues with sunflower causing heating like that? I'm not going to use this particular oil anymore.

I use sunflower oil frequently, although usually more in the 10% range. I think the highest I've used is 15%. I've never had any heating issues. I usually have to encourage gel with a heating pad, even in the summer.

I kinda figured that would be the answer. I'll have to hunt down some plain sunflower and see if the issues continue.

I don't really need to use sunflower, just looking for options besides the safflower I usually use. I really should just stick to what works and is cheap.

It almost sounds like you have more coconut in the recipe than you expected (sunflower isn't a heater in my experience either).

Can you post the actual oil, water and lye weights?
(I know you went to a lot of trouble calculating the blend, but it wouldn't hurt to double check the recipe as you made it, given that it is not reacting as expected).

I kinda figured that would be the answer. I'll have to hunt down some plain sunflower and see if the issues continue.

I don't really need to use sunflower, just looking for options besides the safflower I usually use. I really should just stick to what works and is cheap.
If you have a Trader Joe's near you, that's where I've found the best price on HO sunflower.

I have no problems with Sunflower and use it almost as much as Canola. I do use it at 25% in my vegan recipe and I am another one that has to use heat to gel my soaps. I have to use a heating pad, then a heat throw and if I have another layer, (I put my molds in shallow long crates, because I fill to far to put on a lid), I use an electric blanket on the top. So I guess an answer from me might not pertain to you :rolling:

No its not. I think i'll use the last of my blend for a unscented, uncolored batch. I have to know if the oil is the culprit or if something else is going on.

I poured the unscented batch a couple hours ago and its behaving perfectly so its not the oil.
Its odd that I've had over heating with the last few batches using fo's that shouldn't overheat.

Latest posts

Back