Sugar and salt in lye water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victoriaaa

Reaction score
Today, I made my lye water a few hours before I made soap. I made a 33% lye concentration (4.39 oz lye, 8.92 oz water). Before adding the lye, I dissolved 2 tsp each of sugar and salt in the water. I've done this before and it worked out great. However, this time I waited for the lye water to come to about room temperature before using. I noticed a hard sediment at the bottom that I could not get to re-dissolve that I'm assuming is the sugar and salt. I went ahead with the batch, it seems like it is okay.

But what should I do in the future? Add the sugar/salt right before I use the lye water?
MVIMG_20200530_170507.jpg
MVIMG_20200530_170459.jpg

Today, I made my lye water a few hours before I made soap. I made a 33% lye concentration (4.39 oz lye, 8.92 oz water). Before adding the lye, I dissolved 2 tsp each of sugar and salt in the water. I've done this before and it worked out great. However, this time I waited for the lye water to come to about room temperature before using. I noticed a hard sediment at the bottom that I could not get to re-dissolve that I'm assuming is the sugar and salt. I went ahead with the batch, it seems like it is okay.

But what should I do in the future? Add the sugar/salt right before I use the lye water? View attachment 46519View attachment 46520

I warm a small amount of the measured water and dissolove my sugar in that before adding it back to the jug. I imagine the same can be done with the salt. I’ve never used salt myself as I use sodium lactate instead.

I warm a small amount of the measured water and dissolove my sugar in that before adding it back to the jug. I imagine the same can be done with the salt. I’ve never used salt myself as I use sodium lactate instead.
Great idea! I will do that next time

The only time I've gotten a big chunk like that was when my lye didn't dissolve completely. Did you stir your lye in really well until it was dissolved? If you didn't discard the chunk, and just stick-blended it into the oils, you could end up with undissolved lye bits in your soap.

The only time I've gotten a big chunk like that was when my lye didn't dissolve completely. Did you stir your lye in really well until it was dissolved? If you didn't discard the chunk, and just stick-blended it into the oils, you could end up with undissolved lye bits in your soap.
I discarded the chunk! I was worried about some lye being stuck in there 😅

Latest posts

Back