Stinky unrefined shea butter in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to play around and find a favorite lard-free recipe so I ordered some butter. Received unrefined shea butter instead of refined it's darker in color and has a strong smell.

At 10% (give or take a little) how much will that smell affect the final scent of the soap?

Would a 100% unrefined shea butter soap smell just like butter itself?

InShot_20190226_235621574.jpg View attachment 37079 Hi Lena, I have used unrefined shea butter...in fact the claim is that is better since it has not been stripped of its nutrients. I don't know how true that is but I venture to say, it makes sense. Either way, my soap doesn't have the smell that you are asking about. I'm trying to get away from the Lard too, there are a lot of people that snub the lard...(I like it myself) but, butters are a good way to go. Just saying. This one has unrefined shea butter and it turned out great too.
View attachment 37079

Last edited:
Oh my gosh Flowermountains that is lovely packaging you have! Thanks for you sharing your experience, I was hoping to hear it wouldn't cause a problem.

Yes, I'm going to miss lard but I want to make a bar with a longer shelf life. Mine reliably lasts more than a year, but I'd like to get it closer to at least 3 years and lard seems to be prone to dos.

I've never used refined shea butter in soap, but I definitely smell unrefined shea in a finished unscented soap. It loses that earthy/dirty smell though. I actually love it. I think the highest I've used it is 15%.

I have never had it carryover in scent except in my 60-75% shea facial bar. I always use unrefined in soap soap but refined in lotions. Scent can vary quite a lot when it come to unrefined, and it could be from whom you purchase it. I assume our suppliers deal with the same suppliers, I buy mine from importers and find it changes from village to village, season to season in color and scent.

Oh my gosh Flowermountains that is lovely packaging you have! Thanks for you sharing your experience, I was hoping to hear it wouldn't cause a problem.

Yes, I'm going to miss lard but I want to make a bar with a longer shelf life. Mine reliably lasts more than a year, but I'd like to get it closer to at least 3 years and lard seems to be prone to dos.

Thank you, that is so sweet...it just a little cigar label. I recently changed the look to try and simplify it...I am happy with the results. Less is more, I always say. :)

Latest posts

Back