Stearic acid...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabitha

Reaction score
... is an animal product? I had no idea. This is what the all mighty WIKI says:

Stearic acid is prepared by treating animal fat with water at a high pressure and temperature, leading to the hydrolysis of triglycerides. It can also be obtained from the hydrogenation of some unsaturated vegetable oils. Common stearic acid is actually a mix of stearic acid and palmitic acid, although purified stearic acid is available separately.

I guess this post could have gone in M&P, candles, B&B, etc.

I saw an article in a SPCA magazine telling people not to buy soaps or other products with Stearic Acid because it's an animal product and yet the Stearic Acid I buy is a triple pressed vegetable product....

I am guessing it is one of those products that could be comprised of assorted fats. I even read cats & dogs might be used by some manufaturing companies.

I do not want this thread to turn into a poo throwing thread (as Ian would say)... but I am curious.

I had never heard of that - ickkkk = I guess I'll stick to my supplier who I trust to make sure I'm getting the vegetable type....

Yes - the one I have is made from coconut oil....it is probably the 'hardening factor' in various oils/fats that is extracted...? (Do I sound technical enuff :wink: )

Tanya :)

Yep, there are 2 types. Regular (animal product) and also Vegetable Stearic. Usually if it's vegetable it will specify that.

Also, for anyone who drinks Guinness, it uses fish bladder product for a clarifyer and cannot be classified as vegetarian or vegan.
I never knew THAT until yesterday... lol

ICK -
yucky.gif

It's a good thing I only use beer & ale for soaping but that really is a good thing to know since there are a lot of people who have fish allergies. It would be horrible to make a beer soap and have someone react to it. I know they're not eating it nor leaving it on the skin but people with extreme allergies will react to it being on the skin even for a short time.....That's still disgusting!

Fish beer :shock: ?

...and lets not even talk about what is in medications... everything from whale sperm to horse urine to lizard saliva...

nope! pretty crazy to think of where stuff comes from... thats why i try to make my own stuff as much as possible...

Tabitha said:
Fish beer :shock: ?

...and lets not even talk about what is in medications... everything from whale sperm to horse urine to lizard saliva...

Niiiiiiice.... LMAO Just another reason for me NOT to read labels. LOL

They don't write *horse urine* on the label. It is listed as Premarin (which is added to Prempro, Premphase, Prempac, Premelle & others). It actually translates to pregnant horse urine.

There should be better disclosure on things. We really have no idea what we are getting even when we do read the labels.

x

candle supply stores generally carry animal based steric acid as it is cheap.

you can get soy or palm steric acid from most suppliers that carry lotion supplies-from nature with love and brambleberry are just a few. most specify origin-if not, you can always ask to make sure.

Tabitha said:
They don't write *horse urine* on the label. It is listed as Premarin (which is added to Prempro, Premphase, Prempac, Premelle & others). It actually translates to pregnant horse urine.

There should be better disclosure on things. We really have no idea what we are getting even when we do read the labels.

I've read some pretty horrifying things about how they treat those poor horses... keeping them pregnant just for the hormones in their urine.

Back