Stearic Acid in Soapmaker?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) Alright it turned out quite nicely :)

Thank you!

I didnt know Stearic had a SAP value!!! :shock: :oops: 8)

I love learning new things! :)

I've used it up to 5% in a shaving soap, and plugged it into soapcalc with the rest of my oils.
Some say it speeds trace crazily, but I didn't find that, but it certainly did result in a stable lather for my shaving soap. Stearic acid is the main ingredient in shaving cream (can).

I heard that when using stearic acid, you should add 5% glycerin (i.e. 5% of the weight of the stearic acid). Has anyone else heard this?

SA is supposed to add stability to the foam. But use much and you have to HP.

soapqueen said:
Now I heard that you should add 11% glycerin; any thoughts??

I HP my shave soaps and throw in some glycerin after cook. Never weighed it though. I should think about that next time. Stearic acid is great for shave soap and seems like the glycerin balances it out and keeps it from being drying or waxy. I'm out of shaving soap and it's been on my list of things to do for a month. I keep forgetting to buy pringles so I can use the can as a mold. How hard is it to remember to buy sour cream pringles!! Yummy!

Stearic acid is the main fatty acid of solid fats. It makes for a very hard bar but too much can make the bar feel waxy and reduce lather. It works just fine cold process.

It also makes great smokeless, dripless candles.

Latest posts

Back