Soy lecithin safe for lotion for dogs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanditasr

Reaction score
The vet has recommended aloe vera gel and coconut oil for the dog's skin itch and scabs. Of course, the two don't mix unless I use an emulsifier. I am hesitant to use emulsifying wax since he may try to lick it off. I have used soy lecithin for my own lotions and am rather happy with the feel of that. I assume it should be safe for the dog -- has anyone tried?

The proportions I plan to use are approximately:

- 60 grams aloe vera gel
- 15 grams coconut oil
- 15 grams soy lecithin granules (I have dissolved it in water or beer so far; I am assuming it will dissolve fully in the gel)

The vet has recommended aloe vera gel and coconut oil for the dog's skin itch and scabs. Of course, the two don't mix unless I use an emulsifier. I am hesitant to use emulsifying wax since he may try to lick it off. I have used soy lecithin for my own lotions and am rather happy with the feel of that. I assume it should be safe for the dog -- has anyone tried?

The proportions I plan to use are approximately:

- 60 grams aloe vera gel
- 15 grams coconut oil
- 15 grams soy lecithin granules (I have dissolved it in water or beer so far; I am assuming it will dissolve fully in the gel)
I make a lotion bar w loth liquid lecithin it's heavenly.

It looks like most vet sites suggest that soy is safe for dogs, and lecithin itself has been given to dogs (formerly from eggs) with vitamin b for their coats and general wellbeing, so from a food perspective, you should be ok if the dog licks the product. Soy is also used in dry dog food (as one of the main vegetable protein additives).

On the skin ...

This post suggests that only the gel should be used (and that the white, just under the skin of aloe, is toxic for pets).
https://www.vetchat.com.au/can-i-use-aloe-vera-on-my-dogs-skin/

Looks like coconut is nice for them (and has been used for a while), this doesn't say that much, but gives a couple of conditions (more for internal use) to watch out for:
https://petdermatologyclinic.com/coconut-oil-use-in-dogs/

Egg yolks (again) have been used to make shiny coats for show dogs (I remember show dogs having egg yolk added to the shampoo in the 70s).

Sounds like a nice mixture. I hope you can let us know whether it works :)

In the past I've used oil based "creams", but thinking about some other things I've made, you might be able to get the aloe gel into whipped coconut without an emulsifier, if you mix it with a whisk or mixer over iced water. If you go with lecithin, I would suggest it be used fresh (only) - I don't think it will keep well at all.

It looks like most vet sites suggest that soy is safe for dogs, and lecithin itself has been given to dogs (formerly from eggs) with vitamin b for their coats and general wellbeing, so from a food perspective, you should be ok if the dog licks the product. Soy is also used in dry dog food (as one of the main vegetable protein additives).

On the skin ...

This post suggests that only the gel should be used (and that the white, just under the skin of aloe, is toxic for pets).
https://www.vetchat.com.au/can-i-use-aloe-vera-on-my-dogs-skin/

Looks like coconut is nice for them (and has been used for a while), this doesn't say that much, but gives a couple of conditions (more for internal use) to watch out for:
https://petdermatologyclinic.com/coconut-oil-use-in-dogs/

Egg yolks (again) have been used to make shiny coats for show dogs (I remember show dogs having egg yolk added to the shampoo in the 70s).

Sounds like a nice mixture. I hope you can let us know whether it works :)

In the past I've used oil based "creams", but thinking about some other things I've made, you might be able to get the aloe gel into whipped coconut without an emulsifier, if you mix it with a whisk or mixer over iced water. If you go with lecithin, I would suggest it be used fresh (only) - I don't think it will keep well at all.
I use liquid lecithin I'm my ultra moisturising lotion bars. It makes of an amazing skin feel

This post suggests that only the gel should be used
Egg yolks (again)
go with lecithin, I would suggest it be used fresh (only) - I don't think it will keep well at all.

Thanks. Yes, I do process the aloe vera leaves carefully, so the gel can be applied or eaten. My neighbour gives her dog the gel (properly processed) for his tummy problems.

Coconut oil: Yes, much treasured all over southern India, which is where I am.

Egg yolk: Oh yes, it's great in our hair too!

Thanks; I'll try whipping them over ice. And yes, I always keep my lotions in the fridge. Shall keep you posted.

We foster greyhounds and they regularly come out of racing with the most dreadful skin conditions. We give them tins of fish (the SMASH fish - salmon, mackerel, anchovies, sardines or herring), fish oil tablets, coconut oil over their food (not on their skin or they would lick it off) and chia seeds. All of these seem to have helped, if a dog has particularly bad skin we give them the whole lot and they love it. Good luck with your fur baby and his skin condition.

Back