Someone help me please!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that depends on what the orange spots are?
A look at your recipe would help as well as pictures if you have them.
We really need more information to give you better help. :)

Here are the pictures. Formula to follow later.

orangespot001.jpg

orangespot002.jpg

What do you think caused it.

Here's the formula I used.

3 oz beeswax
18 oz olilve oil
18 oz coconut oil
29 oz vegetable shortening

22 oz water
9.29 oz lye

I add 3/4 cup ground oatmeal and 2 tbsp warm honey at trace

I will admit that when I made this batch I had a few distractions. I did this exact formula on Thursday and everything came out fine.

I ran this recipe through a calculator first. This is not the first time I've used this recipe.

It could be that the honey didn't get mixed it as well as it could have. if you don't want to leave it like that you can always rebatch - but you don't have to as long as there isn't any zap you're good to go.

Cheers
Lindy

it's the honey. either it wasn't completely incorporated (that happens) or it's contributed to overheating and then it percolated up out of the soap.

if the surface "zaps" then you can rebatch, or even perhaps just rinse the bars off and see if it reappears.

if it doesn't zap then do whatever feels good!

Probably wasn't incorporated tho - if you really want to add at trace you should dilute it out in some of the water you are using (warm water), or stick blend it into your oils before adding the lye (it won't dissolve in the oils but it'll blend in as you add the lye water)

I still don't get why so many are using beeswax. that soup would be fine without it, tho it would benefit from a 6 week cure perhaps. That soap will be plenty hard without it.

Thankis for all the help everyone. I've never done a re-batch of soap. I think I may try it or consider this one a wash (pardone the pun).

Latest posts

Back