Soapmaking workshop

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarinaB

Reaction score
I make more and more bars of soap because I started to sell my soap at craft fairs and on line store.
I would like to get a workshop on our property. Our garage is in a bad shape, so... We decided to fix it and build an attic above our garage and I can use that space to make/keep/cure bars there.
I will have a sink there. I am living in PA, USA, here are 4 seasons in our area. AC at summer and a coal stove at a winter time.
I am sort of new in soapmaking. If you have any advises for my workshop place, I would be appreciated your time!
Thank you!

Finnegan, It is why I would like to build up an attic. Right now my bathroom looks like a lab.

The most I am worrying is a temperature I should keep there.
What is lowest/highest temperatures are acceptable in a soap work shop?

I work at room temperature at home, so it is hotter in summer and cooler in winter, but I live in South Africa where we have really mild winters, so I always soap between 20 - 30 degrees Celsius.

I think it is also advisable, if you live in a humid environment, so install a dehumidifyer.

Personally, I would want a fairly reliable temperature range of 60 to 76 degrees Fahrenheit in my work area, knowing that while I am working it's going to go up at least another 5-10 degrees, especially if I do any Hot Process or Oven Process.

Having sufficient electrical outlets is another very important factor, as well as sufficient access to both hot and cold running water. Without those things, I would not really want that to be my permanent soaping workspace.

As for electricity, in fact, I'd want to be sure I could run a fridge, an oven (microwave or convection), at least one or two crockpots, a stick blender, and a Dehumidifier, at least one FAN and possibly a space heater as needed. That's a lot of electrical pull if and when all are being used, so if it were me, I'd want a really good electrical set-up.

Oh, and some WINDOWS. I hate being boxed-in enclosed spaces without windows! And good lighting! Lots of good lighting for when you make soap in the winter or at night, so you can see what you're doing when the natural sunlight isn't pouring in through your gorgeous windows.

Plus, I'd want to be sure my internet reaches my workspace, so I could have a desk with my laptop. And maybe a nice comfy rocking chair for when I need to take a break with a cup of tea between batches.

The windows is an excellent point not only for light but ventilation. If operable windows is not an option please think about some kind of external vent or fan for lye (and other) fumes.

*note to self, have earlene help design future soaping space. That list was spot on.

I make more and more bars of soap because I started to sell my soap at craft fairs and on line store.
I would like to get a workshop on our property. Our garage is in a bad shape, so... We decided to fix it and build an attic above our garage and I can use that space to make/keep/cure bars there.
I will have a sink there. I am living in PA, USA, here are 4 seasons in our area. AC at summer and a coal stove at a winter time.
I am sort of new in soapmaking. If you have any advises for my workshop place, I would be appreciated your time!
Thank you!

You made your first soap in in June and you're selling....hope you have good insurance. Your soap is barely old enough to know if it's even a good soap.

Holly with Missouri River Soap has an 'attic' soap studio. She has a channel on YouTube and has recorded 'tour' videos and talks about the challenges (midwest climate) and you can see her set up.

I can tell you from personal experience that you don't want to drop below 65F or above 80F for either storage, soaping or curing. Personal comfort aside,going below 65F can play havoc with your oils/butters resulting in false trace. Going above 80F can affect your stored Essential and Fragrance Oils. Below 65F, it will take twice as long to cure your soaps. And while you would think that +80F would aid in curing because of water evaporation, it can actually cause cracking because the water evaporates too fast.

I will be starting construction on a new soap studio very soon. My main requirements are a separate curing closet, plenty of storage and work space (I plan to have at least two workstations dedicated to different items, but ideally three), plenty of wall sockets, and heating and cooling (for this I will probably do baseboard heat and something like a Mr. Cool unit). I will not have the area plumbed due to cost, but I will do my washing in a sink that is quite close to my work area.

My idea of a perfect soaping studio would be a camper or 5th wheel. Ya got heat, A/C, stove, sink, bathroom, storage.

I would love to have seen pictures of the finished shop. Trailer that size will have two doors...one to the bedroom. That section becomes your shop and you'll have a bathroom between it and the rest of the trailer (studio). I'd pull out the water heater and put in a 'hot water on demand' unit, along with a dishwasher (they make versions for RVs). On the other end with be a closed in curing room with lower drawer storage.

Sadly, I have to room where I live for such a thing.

Latest posts

Back