Soaping Pot?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachy12

Reaction score
What do you guys use as a soaping pot? I've read that you need to use SS. I'll be going to a thrift store in the next day or so, so I was wondering what I need to look for!

I'll be making my first RTCP batch next week, and I can't wait!

I use stainless steel, but you don't have to. I like using it because it conducts the cold from my ice bath better than other bowls.

Don't use aluminum!

Like Kristin said, just no aluminum. Sodium Hydroxide and aluminum produce hydrogen gas. We don't want you blown up while making soap.
I use my Presto Pot then transfer into my stainless steel Kitchen Aid mixing bowl and use that to finish the batter to trace. Anything will work, especially any HDPE plastic that has decent wall thickness. I used to use a cream puff bucket that cream puffs came in from Sams.

I also would not recommend using glass either. Go to a dollar store and pick up a cheap stainless steel bowl.

Paul

I got a nice deep 12-quart (I think) SS bowl from Walmart for a little over $6.00 and it's great. I don't know if it's OK to put on a stove though. I use a little electric skillet with an insert in the bottom and filled with water...sort of a makeshift double boiler.

I love old buckets for RTCP soap. The kind you get oil in. I have some 3.5 gallon ones from MMS that I've been using for years. They are the perfect size. Easier to work with than the 5 and 7.5 gallon ones.

When I have to heat the oil I use an old Le Creuset stockpot I found under my house when I moved in. It's about a million years old but perfect for soap, heavy and heats evenly and you can't beat that ceramic finish off.

You certainly don't need metal for RTCP - you aren't putting it on the heat.

Plastic is my friend.

For 2# batches I have two big mixing bowls. My favorite is melamine but that can't go in the microwave so if I want to use it I have to melt my butters in a different container. I also have another mixing bowl which is nice.

For larger batches I use a 2 gallon bucket from Home Depot or Lowes.

I can't be bothered with metal.

I make smallish batches (total 1kg/2lbs oil) and use a Pyrex 2 litre toughened glass jug - saw same in an online video on soaping on about.com and just happened to have one in my saucepan drawer which I have never used before, so...... :lol:

Cheap SS pot got a the Bargain Shop. I like it because I melt the oils on a portable element instead of the microwave. Cooling is a breeze. I just pop the pot into a small rubbermaid of cold water. Works great.

It's neat to see how many different methods everyone uses. :D

forgot to add that I avoid metal because I have broken my wrist in the past and heavy pots are an issue for me. that's why plastic is my friend.

One note on the SS, I love to soap in plastic buckets - but all my utensils, and measures, prep bowls, scoops, weighing bowls are all SS. And for anything I need in the micro I bought 3 of the big pancake measures from Pampered Chef - they are perfect for heating and holding, also great for melting MP.

Back