"soaping at room temperature"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you very interesting!! does your soap gel doing this? I don't mind the gel but there are a couple soaps I want to do with out the gel and nothing ticks me off more when it gels but only 3/4 of the way. do you make soap with milk? and the beer soap sounds interesting
Yes, although not all the way through every time. I have a thick wood mold, and cover and insulate my soaps too. If I don't want a gel I don't insulate, although there's rarely any time that I don't want gel. When I make buttermilk soap, it goes straight into the fridge otherwise the milk scorches, even if uninsulated. Typically even my soaps that don't gel all the way through, the noticeable ring where it gels will "cure out" - it doesn't go away it just isn't noticeable by the time the cure is done. I use coconut milk, buttermilk, and very occasionally goat milk. Buttermilk and goat milk are the only ones that give me a hard time. Of course, your results may vary depending on your recipe. I have slight differences in mine if I change recipes, but I've learned what I can and can't do over the years. I think you've gotten a lot of great advice here to start experimenting safely with your recipes to find the method that works for you.

Here is what I found regarding "room temperature soaping"

http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/how-to-make-soap-roomtemp.html

In fact - I tried this yesterday for the first time with the "mango butter soap" from this same site. The difference versus cold process it seems is that they lye solution is poured over your "hard" oils immediately after it is mixed, and the heat in the lye solution melts the hard oils. I keep all my oils and butters in the refrigerator - so I am afraid I should have allowed them to truly reach room temp before I added the lye solution. Time will tell. I will unmold the soap today and then start the waiting / curing process!

Sorry if this sounds strange:eek: what type of lard?

The lard you buy at the grocery store. There's a few soapers on here who go to the trouble and expense of using good quality leaf lard (which is apparently the lard from around the kidneys and is the best for making pie crusts, among other things). That is certainly something you can try! But I'd recommend just getting lard from the grocery store to check it out. My walmart has Manteca brand, in a green and white bucket (or sometimes in stick form). Some areas have Snowcap brand, which is in a blue and white container.

LOL, sorry about that! Totally missed your location.

Also, trying to decide if you are using "cheers" sarcastically in this context. You're too polite to say, "I live in in the UK, moron," so you say, "cheers." ;p

Like "bless your heart" for us in the southern US.

But yes, just regular lard.
For me cheers is more of a thank you I say it a lot, I wasn’t being rude.. I wish Walmart would make its way over to us :thumbs: the only lard I have ever used is beef lard for roast potatoes xx

to be 1000000% honest, I MUCH prefer Tesco! I wish we had it here! I much preferred shopping there.

Don't wish Walmart on yourself before you understand all it brings (check out "People of Walmart" - LOL!

I say "cheers" all the time too - perhaps from having lived overseas and working with a lot of Brits. I love it as a "thank you, have a great day, bye for now, etc. etc. etc!

The lard we have in the US appears to have been made from pig fat from what I can tell. I am myself anxious to try beef tallow - which may be what you have easy access to? I have thus far found it hard to locate near me so I am a bit jealous ---- You jammy cow :) - and man oh man do I hope I used that correctly!!!! A friend from Yorkshire called me that once meaning "you lucky thing" or at least so she said - so if that is not what it means, I apologize!!!!!!

You're too polite to say, "I live in in the UK, moron," so you say, "cheers." ;p

Like "bless your heart" for us in the southern US.

I'm dying over here ... laughing pounding crying.gif

"Bless your pointed little head" was an East Coast expression I was familiar with ages ago.

Don't wish Walmart on yourself before you understand all it brings (check out "People of Walmart" - LOL!
I've seen those!! Lol

Yknow what's funnier? Someone opened several places called "WalterMart" here and even those come with the same.. ehmm.. kind of people hahaha

I keep thinking someone should document them like how the Walmart one came about lol

thank you, I am going to try this this coming weekend after I check out what temps my oils harden up at---does it matter at all if the oils are warmer than the lye water?
I like to make my lye the night before too. I get way too impatient waiting for the lye water to cool. Yes, my motto is "God grant me patience; NOW"!!!

I've thought I did RTCP. What I do is melt my hard oils with the hot lye and add rest of oils. SB till trace and pour. I don't know what the neck I've been doing now LOL.

Latest posts

Back