soap too soft

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvira

Reaction score
Day before yesterday I made, for the first time, hot process soap. I followed carefully both the amounts and procedure described in viedo from soaping 101. But my soap turned out too soft. I've cut it and I am going to let it dry. But it was supposed to be ready as soon as umolded. What could I have possibly done wrong?
Help!

You may have done nothing wrong. I am wondering if it is your lye. In the past, I have purchased bad lye.

I've only made hp soap twice and even though it's not as fluid of a batter when going into the mold and the soap texture not as smooth, the soap was still soft when cut and needed to cure just as long as my cp soap. The difference with Hp soap is it goes through saponification before going into the mold. Even though it's no longer lye active it still needs to cure. Soap is technically usable after saponification but it's not going to be soap at its best. Soap becomes milder and a much nicer soap after a good cure time.
Debbie :)

You may have done nothing wrong. I am wondering if it is your lye. In the past, I have purchased bad lye.

Thanks for your answer. I think I am going to get a new batch of lye and repeat the process to see if this time I suceed.

I've only made hp soap twice and even though it's not as fluid of a batter when going into the mold and the soap texture not as smooth, the soap was still soft when cut and needed to cure just as long as my cp soap. The difference with Hp soap is it goes through saponification before going into the mold. Even though it's no longer lye active it still needs to cure. Soap is technically usable after saponification but it's not going to be soap at its best. Soap becomes milder and a much nicer soap after a good cure time.
Debbie :)
The, I am going to let it cure as long as I leave the cold process soap I make and see if it dries out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back