Soap cake/tart

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue hill

Reaction score
Ive been wanting to make a soap cake forever and i think the time has come but i am unsure as to how i should do it. I am thinking (cold process)starting with the bottom (crust) making a layer , then waiting for a couple of hours then adding another layer (filling) and finally topping it off with whipped soap. Does that sound ok? I think that will take all in all a few hours. Id appreciate any input from anyone who has done these before, ive got no idea how theyre done. I just have a feeling theres a better way than what ive come up with.
Thanks!

Hello Bluehill-
I believe you are overthinking your project.

Here is a photo of my first soap cake:
soapcake.jpg

It sold really well. I was worried about making the outside realistic looking.
I think the shape is so distinctive, that it convinces people. I used lemon
pound cake FO and it smelled yummy!

This was done in a plastic microwave bundt pan, and I could flex the mold
to get the soap out. I added finely ground oatmeal for texture, used M & P
for the frosting. (spray with alcohol first)

If you are going to do whipped soap for the frosting, I think you would add
that after it comes out of the mold.

This weekend I poured a chocolate one- didn't worry about texture.
I used BB's deep, dark chocolate FO and will glaze it with Chocolate drizzle FO.

Easy-Peasy Just get a good mold- I bought 2 of these at the Salvation Army
store for 50 cents each! There is also a tupperware jello mold that has inserts
that you can pop in the top (hearts, trees, etc) that I have seen at the
thrift store. Silicone molds are available on the internet for around $18.00

Here is a link to another photo of a beautiful cake by Ilovesoap:
www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

Also- you don't have to wait a couple of hours to add another layer. If I am layering,
I have all ingredients for each layer pre-measured. Bring the first layer to medium trace,
spritz it with alcohol & cover it. Mix up the batch for the second layer, pour it on top.
You don't want to risk having your layers separate later.

Bombus, that looks really nice!!

Another one from Sweden here (but a transplant, live in the US now). :)

Having had two round coffee soaps eaten ('this muffin tastes like soap!')...how do you stop people trying to eat it?

Deb said:
Having had two round coffee soaps eaten ('this muffin tastes like soap!')...how do you stop people trying to eat it?

I *hope* it was two different people who ate it, LOL!!

well if you guys put it that way...im a transplant from Egypt in Sweden. Not so many soapers here either and materials are so expensive AND hard to find. Sigh.

Cookiechan, do you sell your soap? Ive been fiddling around with the idea and Läkemedelverkets website for some time and have to say its a bit overwhelming.

blue hill said:
Cookiechan, do you sell your soap? Ive been fiddling around with the idea and Läkemedelverkets website for some time and have to say its a bit overwhelming.

I thought about it but it's not possible for me right now. Not only do you need to register at Läkemedelsverket but you also need a safety assessment, save a sample from every batch of soap, mark everything with batchnumbers, be able to trace all you ingredients from every batch etc...
Also, you need a dedicated area, you can not do it in your home. This needs to be a separate room with air conditioning, water, electricity and easily cleaned surfaces. I wish we could sell on etsy like people in the US!

wow...air condioning??? well that explains why not many people sell handmade soap over here. what a fuss.

blue hill said:
wow...air condioning??? well that explains why not many people sell handmade soap over here. what a fuss.

I meant ventilation, sorry. We do have a few soapers here. Less then 10 though. I don't know how much Läkemedelsverket checks up on everything. You could just register (costs a bit though 2000sek per year + 300sek per product) and soap at home but on your own risk. I'm not sure everybody follows these rules either. I've seen some homemade soaps on Tradera.

Thanks for the tips Cookiechan. Ive seen them on tradera too(no comparison of course with all the yummy soaps on etsy, for example). All very "lagom". And i think its possible to sell on etsy, i know someone here who sells her jewellery from stockholm on etsy. Maybe thats an option.

blue hill said:
Thanks for the tips Cookiechan. Ive seen them on tradera too(no comparison of course with all the yummy soaps on etsy, for example). All very "lagom". And i think its possible to sell on etsy, i know someone here who sells her jewellery from stockholm on etsy. Maybe thats an option.

Jewelry isn't the same though. Soap is considered a cosmetic. It wouldn't be legal for us to sell on etsy or tradera or sell it in any way so it's a risk. In the end you decide what kind of risks you want to take.

blue hill said:
Ive been wanting to make a soap cake forever and i think the time has come but i am unsure as to how i should do it. I am thinking (cold process)starting with the bottom (crust) making a layer , then waiting for a couple of hours then adding another layer (filling) and finally topping it off with whipped soap. Does that sound ok? I think that will take all in all a few hours. Id appreciate any input from anyone who has done these before, ive got no idea how theyre done. I just have a feeling theres a better way than what ive come up with.
Thanks!

Should be really nice; did that with a dark chocolate layer at the bottom, coffee layer with fresh coffee & coffeegrounds in the middle and a whipped 'topping' a couple of months ago.
People get totally exited when I give them away :p
It's not that complicated to make.
You make your soap as usual and when it gets to a light trace you seperate the raw soap.
Add color & fragrance and stickblend both batches until heavy trace. I always make sure my bottom layer is a bit thicker than the layer that comes on top.
Pour them in the mold and let them sit while you're preparing the lye solution for the whipped soap. Let both oils & butter and lye cool down to lye temp.
Just spread the whipped soap on top with a spoon and make it look fluffy by pushing a whisk in it.
I made it in under an hour; you really do not have to wait. Actually, it's better not to; the shorter the time is in between pouring layers, the better they stick together.

my first soap cake was totally whipped. It looked like a gram cracker crust, with chocolate in the middle and whipped cream on top. Also made "shaved" cholate for the top. I just used spices to get the colors I wanted. It looked awesome. People at work actually thought it was real food for them to eat. They were not told that it was soap untill after they all got their coffee...lol

ou make your soap as usual and when it gets to a light trace you seperate the raw soap.
Add color & fragrance and stickblend both batches until heavy trace. I always make sure my bottom layer is a bit thicker than the layer that comes on top.
Pour them in the mold and let them sit while you're preparing the lye solution for the whipped soap. Let both oils & butter and lye cool down to lye temp.
Just spread the whipped soap on top with a spoon and make it look fluffy by pushing a whisk in it.

thanks! I thought i would have to wait a day or at least a few a hours, you have just made my life a lot simpler.

Back