So infuriating!!!! Read this...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking for a phone number. I would like to call her and ask her some questions. I felt it was quite an insult to all of those that has read many books, taken classes. Really dedicated time and effort into making the best soaps possible. I wouldn't want to use her soap at all if there is no lye used in the process of making it at some point. What a crock! :evil:

Well, this thread has been very educational on many levels, but I am afraid it is breaking some forum ettiquette.

We pride ourselves on being the friendliest soap making forum on the net. Please abide by the following rules to keep it that way.

1.For the purposes of this forum, ALL products commonly known as soap are handcrafted/handmade, regardless of whether it began as oils and lye or a base that may or may not contain detergents. BOTH products qualify as handcrafted/handmade soap in this forum.

2.Disrespect and criticism of another member, their practices or choices, will not be tolerated.

3.Disrespect of any member of the soaping community, whether they hold memberships on this forum or not, will not be tolerated.

4.Disrespect of suppliers will not be tolerated. While everyone have the right to post experiences with suppliers, both favorable & not, it shall be done in a professional manner free from insult.

Any negative, nasty, offensive or questionable comments regarding the above points will not be tolerated and will result in that thread/comment being deleted by the Moderating Team without further reference to the member.

Continued posting of negative, nasty or offensive comments will result in that member being banned from the board.

Thank you!- The mod team

If you think your comment might be considered nasty or offensive please go back and edit it.

As a moderator I have to say that. As a fellow soap maker I would like to see her stop selling soap. I do think this thread is very eye opening & will benefit newbies who are thinking about selling before they are ready, so I really do want the good/educational parts of this thread to remain.

Thanks!

:? Like I said, didn't mean to start trouble. I too have reported her to ebay (at least for the shipping scam, 'cause I'm sure that's all they are concerened about). I just had to vent a little and thanks for letting me do that. Apparently I missed whatever may have been objectionable, and I'm glad. It's the same "said-a-mint" I have about our local farmer's market....."I just wanna make and sell my soap, leave me out of the gossip and the politics".

Have fun this weekend! Hope everyone finds some time to play...... :D

I can understand why these people are upset about this person on ebay. I am like other people in this forum who take pride in EVERYTHING that I do on a DAILY basis. I do am upset how people take advantage of the system by cheating people in that way. But in the long run that person will reap what he/she sowed. All we can do is hope that this person learns from cheating people. I read those comments that people have said about their shipping costs and that is OUTRAGEOUS! I have purchased 300-600 dollar phones and paid less shipping. Thanks for letting me say what I felt about this person.

No problem jadie, I have reported her too. It's good we can discuss this sort of thing, & learn from others peoples mistakes, it's just easy for threads like this to go south.

That would be a godsend to the real people who are out there and are honest working folks like us.

Ebay soap seller

People like this won't be in business very long, so I don't worry about them, just the people that becasue of them, will come up to me and say, "I read that lye should not be used in soap" I explain to them that lye in itself is dangerous, just like you wouldn't drink hydrogen, but when mixed with oxygen makes water, so is with lye and oils. Yeah, she doesn't even seem like she's out to make a buck at 1.00 a bar, but shipping well. ..

SimplyE said:
Hrrmmpph.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0268181116

I find it interesting that in this listing, she says, "I don`t use lye a corrosive material found in all store bought soap. My soap is just safer for you and your children`s skin." Which is a "lye" in and of itself. :shock:

She is also selling her bars for $1.00. She has no ingredients listed on any of her soaps, either.

ETA: After more searching, I see she is using a M&P base, one of which the ingredients are listed as sodium hydroxide. I guess if it does not say "lye", it must not contain it.

She sells her bars for $1.00, but what she fails to tell people is that she charges them $23-28 to ship that dollar bar of soap...even though shipping charges show a different amount, on line. There have been complaints on feedback. One person paid $28 for shipping. When confronted, she replied that she had told them she would make up the cost of her soap, with shipping, so they were aware of it. She went on to tell them that no where can you get a bar of handmade soap for .99, or something like that. It's fraud.

Edited for mistakes

jadiebugs1 said:
Actually that is how I came across the listings to begin with, through someone elses feedback or something....I like to snoop at feedback to see what the negatives are all about......
The shipping is what it is though, this person doesn't state any reduction for combined shipping, these people should have known that, most are fairly new to ebay I noticed.

I got quite the quick response back from this person with a short little "you don't even sell soap get a life"....that was it. I was hoping that some others might send a "polite" reminder about the "lye" statements at least. Or just let it go....I'm not so mad now....I've cooled down....besides, as of now...this person has no listings....maybe, MAYBE, they'll re-write the descriptions or something......as I told them in other words "it's not my butt that could be sued by the wrong person....." :roll:

But hey, thanks for letting me vent! I knew you guys would at least understand.....my fellow addicts!

I hope you sent her an email back, telling her that you make soap...FROM SCRATCH, and that is how you know that what she is saying is wrong.

kk after reading all this and falling off my chair in some spots i logged my eby account and posted a complaint. and btw i agree with all of you on this matter. It just makes it harder for those of you who are selling in a truthfull manner Diane

earthmother99 said:
kk after reading all this and falling off my chair in some spots i logged my eby account and posted a complaint.

earthmother99 said:
omg well i heard back from her today but i can not repeat what she said as it is censored and will get me kicked out lol just think of every foul mouthed word you can think of and you will have it covered

I thought when you reported someone on ebay it was done annonomously (sp?). Do you mean you sent her a direct email or message??
I sent her two before officially reporting her, but was careful not to say something that could get me in trouble and she only replied back the first time and told me to get a life. Maybe she's starting to see the light and she likes it in the dark?

I've seen her auctions before, that's horrible, some buyer who knows nothing about soap will see "organic" and "no lye" and think they're getting something fabulous. And she sells a lot of it. Grrrr!

From looking at her past purchases I guess she's using Goat Milk Melt and Pour Soap Base and sodium hydroxide it's right there listed in the ingredients in the auction she bought it from. Does she really not know what sodium hydroxide is? Yikes.

Ebay soap listing

They must be using a melt and pour base and think that it did not take lye to make the base. I have a lot of people ask me about making soap without lye. A lot of people think that part of going green is to not use lye and that would be great but it is simply not possible. That ebayer will not last very long anyway but there will be another to take their place. That is one of the problems with ebay. Anybody can put whatever they want up with minimal effort.

Steve
www.colebrothers.com/articles/soap.html

That is why we try so hard here at the SMF to arm newbies w/ lots of info. It may, at times, seem like we are being harsh. We want to arm everyone w/ the correct info so they do not end up uninformed & a harm to themselves & others, not unlike the person running these potentially hazardous & fraudulent auctions.

Latest posts

Back