SMF May 2023 Challenge: Spoon or Spatula Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Servant4Christ
2. The_Phoenix - A spoonful of soap makes the grime go down the drain.
3. AliOop - This is my go-to rescue technique for those suddenly-thick batters. Ya never know how it will look but it's usually pretty!
4. dmcgee5034 - spoon swirl-tastic! Never done this one, so happy to learn it 🌸
5. Mx5inpenn - my 1st smf challenge was a spoon swirl 🤔
6. basti - an excuse to test my new mold i think 😉
7. Cerelife
8. Vicki C 🥄🌪👍
9. Nicolesica—I think life has calmed down enough for me to take up the challenge. Besides, I have several FO’s that accelerate like crazy, so a perfect opportunity to use them up!
10. The_Emerald_Chicken - It's high time I try this!...plus I need to be making more soap.
11. Blue 1969 - This one seems easy enough for a beginner like me to try - but as we know, sometimes it just looks easier than it is! ;)
12. glendam - This one seems attainable for the time I can steal away for soap making

1. Servant4Christ
3. AliOop - This is my go-to rescue technique for those suddenly-thick batters. Ya never know how it will look but it's usually pretty!
4. dmcgee5034 - spoon swirl-tastic! Never done this one, so happy to learn it
5. Mx5inpenn - my 1st smf challenge was a spoon swirl
6. basti - an excuse to test my new mold i think
7. Cerelife
8. Vicki C 🌪
9. Nicolesica—I think life has calmed down enough for me to take up the challenge. Besides, I have several FO’s that accelerate like crazy, so a perfect opportunity to use them up!
10. The_Emerald_Chicken - It's high time I try this!...plus I need to be making more soap.
11. Blue 1969 - This one seems easy enough for a beginner like me to try - but as we know, sometimes it just looks easier than it is!
12. glendam - This one seems attainable for the time I can steal away for soap making
13. CLMP oh this looks fun can't wait!

1. Servant4Christ
4. dmcgee5034 - spoon swirl-tastic! Never done this one, so happy to learn it
5. Mx5inpenn - my 1st smf challenge was a spoon swirl
6. basti - an excuse to test my new mold i think
7. Cerelife
8. Vicki C 🌪
11. Blue 1969 - This one seems easy enough for a beginner like me to try - but as we know, sometimes it just looks easier than it is!
13. CLMP oh this looks fun can't wait!
14. Tammyfarms - my first challenge 😬. Mostly challenging myself to make more soap and experiment with techniques. Excited!

Good luck everyone I’m getting close to be able to enter hopefully will be there for next months challenge been really busy the past few weeks moving home and getting ready for my first sale at a craft fair now that all the legalities are out the way still a long way to go before i can open a shop but I’m getting closer every day 😊

My spoon swirl turned out really nice I think I'm going to love spoon swirling. You know what else for those of you that know I've been trying to find FOs for learning my swirling and I have been having a hard time with that well I kinda figured out I'm having better luck with EOs for swirling and they smell so good so I'm pretty happy about that 😊. I hope everybody has a good soapy day! 😉

I cut my challenge soap yesterday morning. I'm happy with it! The tip I learned is to be sure that you dip down to the bottom of your mold as you swirl.
Yes I had a bit of a problem with this as the handle on my tsp was too short to really get good at the bottom I can see why bar spoons are better because they have along handle on them I think I'm going to get me a pair of those. My soap still looks nice but I would of liked to get alittle more of the bottom layer to the top.

Master batched my fats yesterday while making dinner to get ready make soap! Today I’ll make my lye solution and hopefully make my entry tomorrow on my work-from-home day. Have a general idea of the colors I want to use. Might disperse my micas today as well.

May use this design as an opportunity to use a FO that heavily discolors. We shall see.

As of last night, we have a new double-feature in the ever-popular series, "Fragrances Behaving Badly."

The first episode involved Lemongrass and Sage from Soapsupplies dot net. No, apparently I didn't learn from last month's challenge where the moderately severe acceleration forced me to do (ironically) a spoon swirl. I was ready for the acceleration, but this time, we also had ricing, which you can see from the uncolored bits in the top area. There are also huge ugly air pockets on the sides and bottoms because the soap was almost seized. Apparently this lovely-smelling FO must be banished to the side of the cabinet reserved for lotions and bathbombs.:(

The second episode involved Karma from BB, for which I couldn't find any review notes. The excitement ramped up with severe acceleration/seizing and heavy ricing - more like little dumplings, actually. Not thinking clearly, I added my premixed PINK mica (instead of the premixed green and blue micas sitting right there!) as it started to gel. Of course, the riced bits would not mix with the mica, giving us ... TA DA! Mortadella (fancy Italian word that roughly translates to MEAT SOAP).

There was no way I was going to bed without making a nice soap. After digging in the FO cabinet, I found just enough Bonsai (from OT) and had just enough MB lye solution to make one.more.batch. That one behaved well and is still firming up in the mold. We shall see if it is challenge-entry-worthy.

Till then, here are my two wonderful-smelling failures that will soon become ciaglia or confetti soap.

IMG_2234.jpg
IMG_2235.jpg
IMG_2237.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back