Silly Things About Soaping You Hear On The Internet

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately I am mostly vegetarian so I don't know any butchers. So I may be wrong that they're non existent around here. I don't know of any but then I suppose I wouldn't really notice.

I might keep my eye out. Do they usually sell actual tallow or do you have to render it yourself? (I'm not sure I'm even using the right terms here).

Unfortunately I am mostly vegetarian so I don't know any butchers. So I may be wrong that they're non existent around here. I don't know of any but then I suppose I wouldn't really notice.

I might keep my eye out. Do they usually sell actual tallow or do you have to render it yourself? (I'm not sure I'm even using the right terms here).

A mostly vegetarian is a flexitarian (I only found this one out a little while back) :)

Usually you would have to render it yourself (I never asked if they do), but they might mince it for you if you ask.

I'd never heard of Fannie and Flo until I read this post. $6.50/lb plus shipping for tallow does sound expensive. I would love to try soaping with tallow but I can only get Armor brand lard locally here in Michigan. It's about $2 or less for a 1 pound block.
In addition to silly things that I've heard about soaping, "curing is just the extra water evaporating out". I used to think that was true but this forum had taught me better. [emoji3]

Last edited:
I'd never heard of Fannie and Flo until I read this post. $6.50/lb plus shipping for tallow does sound expensive. I would love to try soaping with tallow but I can only get Armor brand lard locally here in Michigan. It's about $2 or less for a 1 pound block.
In addition to silly things that I've heard about soaping, "curing is just the extra water evaporating out". I used to think that was true but this forum had taught me better. [emoji3]

I too am in Michigan. You can get 7 lbs of lard or tallow from Soapers Choice. Delivery is really fast. I could order tomorrow morning and it would be here on Tuesday. I get 50 lbs from them of lard

I'd never heard of Fannie and Flo until I read this post. $6.50/lb plus shipping for tallow does sound expensive.

I only order leaf lard from them (for cooking purposes). They are the only good source for non-hydrogenated leaf lard that I can find online, which makes the most awesome pie crusts.

I buy the tallow and lard that I use for soaping elsewhere. Lard I can find at any of my local grocery stores, and tallow I can find at my local Smart & Final or online from Columbus Foods/Soapers Choice. Although I do have a few local butchering places, I've never asked them for fat to render, because I'm not very inclined to try my hand at rendering it myself. lol

IrishLass :)

I buy it from butcher Farmers market (I have a booth there) guys need two weeks to get 20 pounds for me, they mince it and I pay 2 dolars for a pound, Probably the cheapest available in Canada, I tried to find Tallow shortening, the one Carolyn was talking about , but can not find it. :(

I have a few butcher shops/meat markets where I could get the fat. However, I have no inclination to render it myself. I have enough to do just to keep up with what needs to be done.

I finally found a place that sold me a bunch of fatback this weekend. I am a rendering fool right now. Bought 50 lbs. So far, 8 lbs of love.

Attachments

• Lard.JPG
    Lard.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back