Silky Lotion Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosies

Reaction score
I want to make a silky moisturizing lotion for my own personal use and need some help with this recipe. This is the only thing I've made so I have no experience. Below is the recipe I used but it had a greasy feel to it. I added cornstarch but it still felt greasy and takes about a half hour to soak in. It doesn't really feel silky like I expected it to. Would a silk protein or something else help. Can you suggest a change in the ingredients to take away the greasy feel? I have been using Johnson's Creamy Baby Oil which is good but I want better, silky and more natural ingredients.
Your help will be so much appreciated.

BODY SILK
10 oz distilled water
2 oz Virgin Coconut Oil
1 oz Emulsifying Wax
1 oz Liquid Shea (got mine from Judy at To Die For)
1 oz jojoba
1 oz glycerin
.5 oz Avocado oil
.5 oz Sweet Almond oil
.17 oz(notice the decimal), or 4.8 grams Phenonip or Germaben II

I think you are a bit high on the oil percent. (29.1%) I would knock that down to about 12-15% I can't give you exact, as my recipes are all at home, and I can't remember them off the top of my head. But roughly this is what I do (very roughly)

water 75-80%
oils 12-15% incl butter
rest, e-wax, cetyl alcohol or stearic acid, EO's, addiitves (vit E, silk, honey powder etc) and preservative.

Sorry to be so vague, a more experienced lotion maker should be able to help you more!

I would definately lighten up on the oil ...as the previous poster said ...you also can add hydrolyzed oat flour ...it will add some drier softness & lots of benefit ...maybe try it at 2%. Also, cocount oil is a greasier oil ...maybe go with shea butter?? HTH!

Thanks retropants and eden for your replies. It does make sense to cut down on the oils. Now if I can just find the hydrolyzed oat flour.

eden

Thanks for the info. I just ordered it from Lotion Crafters. I hope this gives me what I'm looking for because I'm dying to get this lotion right.
Thanks again,
Rosie :D

good luck to you Rosie!! It's alot of fun to create your own bath & body ...an education can also be gotten simply by spending time on suppliers website reading about the ingredients offered - there are many ingredients that can be used in your lotions besides just oils & emulsifiers ....things to increase your nutritional value, make it more soothing, anioxident ....so many choices - as you learn, you'll want to branch out more.

Suppliers' sites also usually have a formulary, which can help you learn ratios & such & give you ideas - personally, my favorite lotions are lower oil with more skin foods. I do like higher oil content for a hand cream. You will learn what you like best too! Have fun!

Eden

Eden,
Thanks for the encouragment. My hydrolyzed oat flour will be here tomorrow and I can hardly wait so I can try this again with a different formula. I want to stay with as much natural ingredients as possible and still make a good lotion.
I want to try to only make about 8 ozs. at the time until I get it right because I am particular about my body lotion and the last one got thrown out. That was 17 ozs.

Re: Eden

Rosies said:
I want to try to only make about 8 ozs. at the time until I get it right because I am particular about my body lotion and the last one got thrown out. That was 17 ozs.

Ouch!!! That hurts. I hate when I have to throw away anything. :lol: Keep us updated with your progress. :D

Digit

I hate throwing it out too ...in fact I don't ...unless it really sucks ( can I say that??) ...I must have several dozen samples floating around the house ...with ingredients being so costly, I can't bear to throw any of it out!

oh, hey Rosies ...not to say you should run out & place another order for more ingredients ...but sodium lactate & c 12-15 alkyl benzoate can add a very nice dry silky glide/finish to your lotion as well. These are both within the realm of natural ...the later sounds scary but it comes from benzoic acid & coconut oil - it's a wonderful addition at about 2% in your oil phase ...sorry I didn't think of these sooner! Please let us know how you do! It is so much fun to see how our formulas evolve as we learn. Just today I was looking at some of my old notes ...

eden said:
I hate throwing it out too ...in fact I don't ...unless it really sucks ( can I say that??) ...I must have several dozen samples floating around the house ...with ingredients being so costly, I can't bear to throw any of it out!

oh, hey Rosies ...not to say you should run out & place another order for more ingredients ...but sodium lactate & c 12-15 alkyl benzoate can add a very nice dry silky glide/finish to your lotion as well. These are both within the realm of natural ...the later sounds scary but it comes from benzoic acid & coconut oil - it's a wonderful addition at about 2% in your oil phase ...sorry I didn't think of these sooner! Please let us know how you do! It is so much fun to see how our formulas evolve as we learn. Just today I was looking at some of my old notes ...

Eden, thanks for that - I've never considered adding sodium lactate to my lotions. I have some on hand, but I only used it a few times in soap. :lol:

Deda said:
Eden, thanks for that - I've never considered adding sodium lactate to my lotions. I have some on hand, but I only used it a few times in soap. :lol:

oh good! I like the sodium lactate somewhere between 2-5%

So Rosie.......how did it turn out? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol: :lol:

Eden and Retro - thanks for all the tips!

Digit

Maybe she is luxuriating in her super fab lotion. :lol: :lol:

Digit yells out: HEY ROSIE!!!!!!!!!!

Back