Shopping Day! What Should I Buy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganiggle

Reaction score
We're going grocery shopping once the boyfriend gets off work. My plan is to buy some soap making ingredients :) Here's what I have on the list so far:

Lard
Olive Oil
Honey
Oatmeal
Castor Oil
Sunflower Oil

Now I'm not sure if I'm going to find all of those things at Superstore, but I'm sure going to try. Can you think of anything else that I might find at a grocery store that would be good for making soap?

Just wanted to add that if you could think of anything that would be good for natural coloring/natural scent that I could find at the grocery store, that would be sweet.

Would cocoa powder work as a scenting agent?

Thanks! What a cool thread! I do like the idea of a chocolate brown soap. Would it be 1 tsp PPO to get that with the cocoa powder?

Ganiggle said:
Thanks! What a cool thread! I do like the idea of a chocolate brown soap. Would it be 1 tsp PPO to get that with the cocoa powder?

That's what I used before. You can pretty much do it to "taste" tho'...if it's not dark enough for ya, throw little more in. Good luck!

Oatmeal
Sea Salt
Orange peel
Freezer paper --line mold
Vitamine E capsules
Grapeseed oil

artisan soaps said:
Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, Rice Bran Oil ..

Silicone cake/loaf/muffin moulds ..

Ground Coffee Beans - my fav exfoliant ..

Natural Colours: cocoa, turmeric, paprika, spirulina, green tea ..

Coconut milk, Goats milk,

- oh and don't forget your groceries :lol:

LOL the hardest part will be remembering the groceries. You can get coconut oil at the grocery store? SWEET DEAL! No avocado oil for me, I'm allergic to it... yikes!

I love the idea of ground coffee beans! Does it make the soap smell like coffee? That would be awesome. Love the idea of coconut or goats milk too. Oh the choices!

This is going to be the most fun I've had grocery shopping ever!

Dixie said:
Oatmeal
Sea Salt
Orange peel
Freezer paper --line mold
Vitamine E capsules
Grapeseed oil

Vitamine E capsules? good thinking! Definitely picking up some freezer paper to line the shelves where I'll be curing my soap (and for my wood mold when it gets here)

I really hope I can find grapeseed oil there! I have read that it's good for acne... which I most certainly have.

artisan soaps said:
Oh yeah sea salt!! - good thinking Dixie :D

If I can get coconut out here in rural NZ I'm guessing it's readily available in supermarkets elsewhere .. I find it on the shelf near the oils and baking goods ..

The coffee doesn't leave any scent unfortunately, but it looks great speckled throughout and feels awesome ..

Awesome thanks! Too bad it doesn't leave a scent. The awesome smell of coffee in the shower would sure help wake you up in the morning :)

I buy my "groceries" when DH is out of town, which is a lot. Super slick. Then I don't get any comments like "more soap stuff???". I also like sunflower oil too, but I had to get that at the natural store.

Milla said:
I buy my "groceries" when DH is out of town, which is a lot. Super slick. Then I don't get any comments like "more soap stuff???". I also like sunflower oil too, but I had to get that at the natural store.

Hahaha you're sneaky! So far the boyfriend doesn't care what I buy for all of my hobbies. I used to regularly buy $100 worth of yarn every month! Sometimes more lol.

Milla said:
He actually doesn't care. I just like to shop when he's gone. :D

LOL does he whine in the grocery store too? Mine does! "Why does it take so long to find meat!!!" or "Just pick one and lets go!"

Ganiggle said:
Milla said:
He actually doesn't care. I just like to shop when he's gone. :D

LOL does he whine in the grocery store too? Mine does! "Why does it take so long to find meat!!!" or "Just pick one and lets go!"

LOL! You totally crack me up. I don't take him with me. I'm too bossy!

Latest posts

Back