Shipping to different climate, temp and altitude.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMAriel

Reaction score
My family and friends are in Florida (where I come from). Very hot, muggy and at sea level. I've moved to Northern New Mexico, by Colorado. Very cold now, dry and high altitude (above 7,000 ft in the mountains). If I send them soap will it change and perform differently there?

x

hi there!

i live in the hot and humid south, and my soaps do fine down here. i would suggest making sure the soaps are well dried, and then only send enough to last them a couple months at a time. that way they wont be subject to long time exposure to the environment.

you can also tell them if they dont use them up, you wont send them anymore! LOL!

Heartsong has a point. As long as the soap you send is properly reacted and cured, it should be okay.

Soap is somewhat hygroscopic, but as far as I know, the big commercial soapmakers don't toss dessicant packages into boxes of bars. In fact, I don't think they even bother to seal the boxes they ship it in.

If you are really concerned, you can increase the size of your shipment without risking moisture dammage by simply stuffing 2 or 3 bars into ZipLock sandwich bags and then stuffing the small bags into larger bags.

Water won't leak into a bag any easier than it leaks out.

I live in Florida and I have ordered soap from up north lots of times with no problem. The one mistake I made when I first ordered soap was I left it in plastic bags it came in. The moisture in the soaps made the soap nasty. After that I removed the soaps from the plastic and have had no problems since....of course now I make my own soap here in the sub-tropics and its lovely...some times the cure process takes just a little longer...lol

abigtroutt said:
The one mistake I made when I first ordered soap was I left it in plastic bags it came in. The moisture in the soaps made the soap nasty. After that I removed the soaps from the plastic and have had no problems since...

Hi ABT.

What do you mean by "nasty" ?

I'm really curious about the interplay between moisture & curing in soap.

Was it harsh on skin?

Smelly?

misshapen?

Latest posts

Back