Shaving Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to make some shaving soap too, you have all inspired me. I love the look of that shaving set with the bowl and brush, so creamy and lathery!! I asked my hubby last night if he would use a brush and mug, thinking he would say no because he is so used to his shaving cream in a can...but he said yes it's great stuff!! AND I have a teenage son who is just starting to shave a little bit, so it will be good to get him off on the right foot right from the start!!
Once again, thanks guys for the inspiration!!
PS. I found the little shaving brushes in woolworths supermarket for $2.00. Bargain!! Now to just find some smallish mugs or bowls that the brush can reach to the bottom of!!

Jaaret I can't wait to make your shaving soap... I've been using commercial bar soap (Dial) for years to shave with. It's hard to find Palm oil here is there any thing else you could use instead of Palm? If not looks like I'll be ordering some palm oil from some place soon..!!!

Ken said:
If I may ask a question here, I want to add scents to my soap. What I want to do is match up the soap to the aftershave I'll be using. I think that way they will complement each other. One thing though most aftershaves are alcohol based. Would that have a drying effect in the soap?

Don't add any alcohol based aftershave to soap. Alcohol and lye do not play well together.

If you're attached to your aftershave scent then I would recommend leaving your soap unscented. However, you'll miss out on part of the joy of shaving with your own soap: smelling something wonderful while you engage in this daily ritual.

Here are three combos that I recommend for shaving soaps:
- Peppermint and Spearmint. A very uplifting scent first thing in the morning!
- Cedar and Lemongrass. The cedar is very masculine smelling and the lemongrass add bright, citrus notes.
- Ginger and Cinnamon. Very warm and comforting. Perfect for Fall and Winter.

I use only essential oils (eo's) in my soaps. I used to add cinnamon powder to my Ginger & Cinnamon bars but a few people said that it made the soap feel a little scratchy, so I just use cinnamon essential oil now.

I just made a batch of soap with Cedar, Vetivert, and Ylang-Ylang, adding a bit of tussah silk to the lye and ground oatmeal at trace. I can't wait to shave with it!

Latest posts

Back