Sea Salt Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapandco

Reaction score
I am thinking to make some sea salt soaps, but I read somewhere that you need a high amount of coconut oil in it... I am planning to use salt water to dissolve the lye and sea salt as exfoliant and I am not sure if the high amount of salt will have any impact on the soap, thanks.

Yes you need a high percentage of coconut if you want lather, many people also use a higher superfat to compensate for the cleansing of the coconut oil.

I've seen a lot of threads on salt bars and even thought of making one (though I don't know how it will benefit me). Saponified coconut oil is the only oil (known at least) that can lather up in sea water. Because many people find it stripping, a lye discount of 20% is usually calculated.

If you press the search arrow next to the search bar, you can access the advance search option. That can help you look for other post on salt bars. I wouldn't be me if I at least didn't try to help out though:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=47150&highlight=salt

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=44266&highlight=salt

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=46894&highlight=salt

I have not read all of the threads here, but I hope it will help out.

I recommend at least 60% coconut oil but I personally use 80%. You can use just about any other oil for the remaining 20%, I like olive or avocado. If you use high coconut oil, make sure to superfat at 20%.

The salt really won't be exfoliating unless you use coarser ground and that can be sharp enough to cut your skin. I only use fine sea salt or even plain table salt. don't use dead sea salt, it will make a weepy bar.

Add in oatmeal or whatever you like to make your salt bar exfoliating, and stick to fine salt. Also do not add in epsom salt it is harder to work with than Dead Sea. I do not recommend using Dead Sea Salt until you have made a lot of salt bars. I do happen to use it but cure time and percentages are key to success. I would not recommend going less than 75% coconut oil especially if you are going to use 100% salt

Let's see what I still can throw in here.

- 80-20 coconut-castor with 10%SF works for me

"General knowledge"
- You can get away with 20% SF, if you use CO only, because CO has a long shelf life,
so check that for other oils you might use.
- VitE helps extending shelf life.

- Epsom salt and Dead sea salt are not really suited ; they contain a lot more than NaCl,
which could make the bars weep and - sometimes - gummi-like, when you use round 100%.

Thanks, this will be my next project because heard it is good for detox and various skin problems, I have never use one in my life before. I plan to use less than 100% sea salt, maybe will start with 50% and see how it goes...

Thanks, this will be my next project because heard it is good for detox and various skin problems, I have never use one in my life before. I plan to use less than 100% sea salt, maybe will start with 50% and see how it goes...

I have just started to make salt bars. I make my bars with 80% CO, 15% Grapeseed oil, 5% castor, 70% fine sea salt to oil ratio and SF @ 10%. My testers have been very happy with the results.

Oh no, my salt bars are weeping/sweating. I have made a batch of sea salt bars using 80% CO, 5% OO and 15% RBO at 10% SF, to my horror, all my soaps are sweating today, they looked perfect yesterday. I use 50% of sea salt to oil ratio, just regular sea salt... May I know what's wrong?

Is it humid where you live? If so, thats why they are weeping. Turn a fan on them to help keep them dry while they cure.

Is it humid where you live? If so, thats why they are weeping. Turn a fan on them to help keep them dry while they cure.

yes, it is humid, never had this problem with other soaps so thought it might me the formulation of my soap... Thanks!

Latest posts

Back